Phantom 78 650 rebuild Part 2

The Phantom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I’m back. I’m asking for reliable rebuild or replacement master cylinders front and rear and new hoses. I don’t want junk. Suggestions more than welcome.
Tires, chain and a headlight and she will be on the road again. Can’t wait. Haven’t been on a bike since mid eighties. Thanks.

Well, well, well. No response? Have I been blackballed? What’s wrong, y’all used to be so helpful. Some kind of expectation I didn’t meet. We’re men here, speak up. You won’t hurt my feelings

For tires, I run these. Really good bang for the buck.
they average $300 for the set.

1709301381668.png

So, I’m back. I’m asking for reliable rebuild or replacement master cylinders front and rear and new hoses. I don’t want junk. Suggestions more than welcome.
Tires, chain and a headlight and she will be on the road again. Can’t wait. Haven’t been on a bike since mid eighties. Thanks.
Well, I don't trust the cheapy Chinese master cylinders, so I buy used good ones that were OEM fit on Honda, Kwacks or Yams. Usually, nearly always, Nissin brand. I buy an OEM or known-good make rebuild kit for those and can be fairly sure of the quality.

Well, I don't trust the cheapy Chinese master cylinders, so I buy used good ones that were OEM fit on Honda, Kwacks or Yams. Usually, nearly always, Nissin brand. I buy an OEM or known-good make rebuild kit for those and can be fairly sure of the quality.
Thank you, I’m pretty sure the lines are original so I will replace them as well. The caliper pistons have a couple of small rust spots. I guess I’ll replace them as well. It is possible to get replacement pistons?

Thank you, I’m pretty sure the lines are original so I will replace them as well. The caliper pistons have a couple of small rust spots. I guess I’ll replace them as well. It is possible to get replacement pistons?
Yep, you can get stainless pistons for a lot of bikes. I'm fairly sure even Mikes XS will have them for a '78.

Moved this to the garage for more eyes. Not much out there for rear MC replacements but rebuild parts can be had. Many threads on going to a smaller bore front MC for more modern (better) feel, done with stainless lines it's all that most need for street riding. A lighter rotor would be the next brake upgrade.

I get slightly smaller (11mm to 1/2") used Yamaha MCs off eBay for cheap (less than $20 to $25). The quality is high so normally all they need is a thorough cleaning. Besides the quality, the other benefits are they take the same brake light switch and hand lever as the original.

Did you source rebuildable brake components ?
I’m clear across the USA , EASTERN Washington State 🌞
Thanks, I believe the rear master can be rebuilt, it looks clean inside and I just received a used front master in the mail yesterday. I’ve been a mechanic most of my life, but never on bikes. I’m 63 and this Yamaha fell into my lap.
I may use the original hoses for front and rear. They don’t look bad. I’ll clean the inside of both.
I’ll also replace swing arm bushings and bearings for the triple tree. I haven’t bought those yet.
Thanks for reaching out. I will be willing to pay extra freight if I need something you are selling

The brake hoses may look OK but if they're the originals, they're probably toast, lol. You won't be able to get a nice, hard lever "feel" no matter how much you bleed them because those old hoses will swell under pressure. Braided stainless hoses are dirt cheap off eBay (less than $10 each) so it's a no-brainer to use them.

The brake hoses may look OK but if they're the originals, they're probably toast, lol. You won't be able to get a nice, hard lever "feel" no matter how much you bleed them because those old hoses will swell under pressure. Braided stainless hoses are dirt cheap off eBay (less than $10 each) so it's a no-brainer to use them.
Ok, thanks. This is the main reason I access this site. For practical knowledge not found in the manual

Can you suggest how I make sure to get the proper length? And, do I have to use the spitter on the front hose, or should I bypass it and just use a single hose? Only one disk on the front wheel.

Back