Porsche elephant foot adjusters?

I've downloaded a manual for the scale I have coming but it makes no mention of those parts?

When I bought mine, a couple of the ceramic "bearings" were split in half during shipping. Luckily, the seller paid for some new ones. All the parts are available from Ohaus.

This was a mass produced "every man's" bike, and not one of Yamaha's flag ship models, so I'm not surprised. They probably didn't pay much attention to stuff like that. I'm not sure it matters all that much though. All this part does is rock back and forth. If you were dealing with 4 spinning parts then, yes, weighing the same would probably matter.

I've never had the ability to weigh small items like this accurately but will soon when my Ohaus triple beam gets here (thanks again eBay). I plan on checking lots of this stuff. The rockers seem rather crudely cast with stiffening ribs that vary in size quite a bit between different ones. I'm sure you could carefully grind some of that away to even things up.

5t: To your point (from last May), I just weighed my 4 rocker arms using a Metler PL200 Digital Lab Scale.

Left Intake: 145.160 grams
Left Exhaust: 140.985 grams
Right Intake: 140.013 grams
Right Exhaust: 139.542 grams

I wouldn't have thought the range would be so big, but these are stock arms from a C.

:laugh:

Maybe.....I'm starting to wonder whether I'd left one of the MikesXS hex nut adjusters in one of the rocker arms. I'll be rechecking tomorrow.

Recheck of Rocker Arms:

I took rocker arms (each devoid of adjusters) to our plant's Metrology Lab. Pretty darn close to the first set of measurements.

Left Intake: 145.157 grams
Left Exhaust: 140.973 grams
Right Intake: 140.022 grams
Right Exhaust: 139.540 grams

A bent Left Intake Valve was discovered last year and led to my engine rebuild. I'm guessing that this condition led to more wear to the other 3 rocker arms, but I'm speculating.

Should I grind off 5 grams from the left intake rocker arm to weigh closer to others? If so, where exactly?

Presumably my heavier arm has much less wear on the cam follower than the other 3.

Back