Pull The Starter

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '83 650 is cranking quite slow. I'm leaning toward the starter being original on the bike and may be "burning out". My question is:

Do I have to drain the oil to pull the starter? I'm inclined to think that I do have to drain the oil but just wanted to follow up and verify with you guys.

Thanks.

Yes you have to drain the oil to remove the starter while it's on the center stand but that being said I have changed a starter by tipping the bike on it's right side. A little oil will come out but not much. I changed my oil one day and the next the starter went out. I'm a cheap ass so I figured this way I wouldn't have to buy more brand new oil.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I just put oil in it a week or so ago. Maybe I'll just drain it into a clean container and then put it back in the bike when I'm done. I'm a cheap ass too!

Yes, just drain it and put it back in. You might want to inspect and clean all the starter related wiring before you go so far as pulling the unit. In particular, check the main heavy cable connection on the motor itself. That hangs down under the bike and can get all crudded up. My starter didn't work at all when I got my bike and it was because that connection was all rusty.

If the oil seals fail oil will seep into the starter. Mine cranked like new after I cleaned it(and the connections) out with new seals.

Hello.

Hmmmm I´m also wondering about the starter. Or maybe I´m just stupid:D

Am I able to just take away the starter and just drive my cycle just like any other day?? For the moment I just kickstart it anyway so for me the starter is dead weight.

For now/BigBoreSwede

you need to block off the starter hole or you won't make it far. Mikesxs sells a starter block-off kit for $15 bucks

I'll try and get time this weekend to check the connection and if that turns out to be good then I'll pull the starter. Going to be doing it between hunting outings. It's bow season here in Michigan and I'm hot on the trail of a nice 8 or 10 point...heck, I'd even fling an arrow at the nice 4 point I've been seeing.

That being said, I'll get after it this weekend or early in the week.

bdholsin i feel your pain im running into the same problem juggling work my build and hunting season. hope you bag that 10 pt. if not send him down to indiana i havent seen any good ones yet.:thumbsup:

Back