Rear brake resevoir placement

Jonaven

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So im gonna be making s bracket to hold my rear res since it's been fitted with a rear disk instead of drum , but I'm wanting to try my best to hide or cover the res cause tbh it's God damn ugly where it is atm , any ideas of placement ir things you've done
Screenshot_20220222-122636_Messenger.jpg

DSC02871.jpg

I couldn't see a place to put it that would look good, so I just attached the reservoir directly to the M/C with a very rigid tube. So, the reservoir is just sort of hanging there. I'd probably ditch the reservoir and just use a short pipe elbow as a reservoir next time. The red reservoir was found super-cheap on eBay. Probably much less than $10 shipped. Lots of choices.
Even though reservoir is lower than caliper, it works just fine.

DSC00429.JPG

If you really care about looks, you should make a custom brake line, and run it the way I did. Very simple to buy brake line and fittings, no special tools needed.

4.jpg

View attachment 208088
I couldn't see a place to put it that would look good, so I just attached the reservoir directly to the M/C with a very rigid tube. So, the reservoir is just sort of hanging there. I'd probably ditch the reservoir and just use a short pipe elbow as a reservoir next time. The red reservoir was found super-cheap on eBay. Probably much less than $10 shipped. Lots of choices.
Even though reservoir is lower than caliper, it works just fine.

View attachment 208089
If you really care about looks, you should make a custom brake line, and run it the way I did. Very simple to buy brake line and fittings, no special tools needed.

View attachment 208090
Well that makes it easier if it doesn’t have to be above it , so you haven’t had any issues with air bubbles even tho it’s way lower ?

Well that makes it easier if it doesn’t have to be above it , so you haven’t had any issues with air bubbles even tho it’s way lower ?
The upper level of the fluid has to be higher than the cylinder inlet... think gravity.

A couple of suggestions.
Use a small length of clear tube with a breather in the top as your reservoir. Clear so you can check the level easily.
Race bikes use this often. I have edited this post to show a photo, the bike is being altered at present so the wire in the clevis pin is not permanent.

Get another master cylinder with an integral reservoir of a dirt bike .
I have just picked one up from a wrecker its off a 09 KXF, its a genuine Nissin stamped 1/2 . It should be ok for my purposes (rear sets).
Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha dirt bikes all have them.

Attachments

• 20220224_103342.jpg
    20220224_103342.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Back