Rear tire size suggestions

Emeraldcopnj

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am at the point of choosing the tires for my build. I am looking at the Shinko 712's. My build is a 1977 standard.

I am going with the 100/90-19 for the front.

Any suggestions/recommendations for the rear? Sorry to sound stupid but.. All these sizes got me confused ! I am only using the bike local around town. Thanks for everyone's help !

I recommend you stick with the standard size for the rear, a 4.00 or 110. My bike came with a wider 120 on the back. I used it up but then switched to the proper 110. The bike steers quicker and is easier to toss into corners. I would never run a 120 again.

Where you buying the S-11? I have good pricing luck with Dennis Kirk and American Motorcycle Tire. I ran the S-11 on a couple of bikes and like it. Older tire design, but solid for most riders.

130 is wider.

My pops runs Spitfire's and loves them also. The bobber I am building for a customer is running them as well.

I like the Spitfire with the raised white letters too. CaptMilk, the first number, IE 110 or 130, is the width of the tire, in millimeters. The second number, in this case, 90, is the aspect ratio of the tire. A 90 series is 90 percent as tall as it is wide. Smaller number equals shorter sidewall, and smaller overall diameter of the tire. If you have a 16 inch rear, you can go with a 120 or 130. If it is an 18 inch, I'm not sure what all is available to you.

My tire is so close to the swingarm. Like 1/2" , on both sides maybe i should get a 130/80

Posted via Mobile

I'm going with a Dunlop K70 4.00-18 on the rear after wearing out a Kings Tire 110/90-18 after a couple years, wasn't a really bad tire (decent side wall).
I'm in between on front tires right now. Probably gonna re-lace a 19" & use an Avon MKII

Im liking the Shinko 110/90-16, if i go with this size on my 81 650sh would there be any problems? Handling or otherwise?......thanks for all your excellent info

Posted via Mobile

The 110/90-16 Shinko will not have the weight capacity of the 130/90 or a 120/80 or 120/90. Chech the numbers out. Should be a 57H or something similar on each tire for weight rating. If your bike is a lightweight bobber, chop, tracker, or CR, you can get by with lower capacity tires, but if she's bone stock, you'll want to keep the higher weight rating. Tires that are near capacity tend to cause wobble in the turns, as the sidewall yields under load.

Back