Rear wheel hub

rsor

Wanna do this again!
Reaction score
I have not taken this apart yet, but does anyone have an idea as to what happened to this rear wheel hub?

I suppose it is trash now?

Attachments

• IMG_2657.JPG
    IMG_2657.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2658.JPG
    IMG_2658.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2656.JPG
    IMG_2656.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 160
For now, I'd declare it dead and unusable.
Maybe bearing went out, maybe drum liner separated.
Remove and disassemble, would be more revealing...

Bearings where new, But I guess the take apart will help tell. Damn that is going to hard to find another hub or wheel.

If the bearings were just replaced I'm betting on the inner collar spacer not having been transferred from the old bearing to the new.

Sorry here's an exploded diagram
RearWheelBearings.jpg

Part #20 in this diagram
It's the shiny piece located above the end of the adjustable wrench it fits inside the ball bearing and has been tossed out with the old bearing by DIYers MANY times

Last edited:
All spacers are on the axle, two outer ones, and longer inner one.

DIYER, but not the average bear.

Any more ideas? I don't want to go through this again.

So far no luck on a replacement,
I wonder if a machine shop could build that back up?IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG IMG_2661.JPG

What year is this hub off? I might have one but afraid the shipping would be a deal breaker from New York State.

IMHO that hub is scrap, to much chance of a crack spreading to critical strength areas.
See my post above for a revised diagram I'm still pretty sure that a missing inner hat spacer is the issue.

it's a 1976, My postal code is T5C2S8, if anyone wants to check on shipping. I think that you are right Gary, there is no spacer in the bearing, but I think the axle fits perfectly inside the bearing, I'm headed out to the garage to check again.

all spoke rear hubs 73-81 interchange. though spoking a 16" rim to a 73-77 hub can be challenging

Yep, it's not there and there is space for it. Only way it went missing on my watch is if it popped out while driving the old bearing out, and hit the floor, but I swept up no such beast. I wonder if the PO had it apart and lost it. And I did not realize, because it was not there? Oh well doesn't matter now......damage control, now I need an 18" spoked wheel and the missing spacer as well.

Any helpers out there would be greatly appreciated !!

Nearly always a used hub or wheel will have that spacer, it can only be removed when the bearings have been driven out. it fits to the inside of the LH side bearing. and must be installed before the new bearing is driven in. Typically a guy changes the bearings and throws that out with the old bearing. If it's there you can see it as a thin sleeve inside the bearing.

Here's a pic of a TX500 rear hub. It uses the same bearing and spacer as the 650 hub. You can see the spacer inside the inner race of the bearing. It almost looks like a second inner race, like it's part of the bearing. It won't fall out when you remove the bearing. It's a tap-in or gentle pressed in fit. That's why it gets tossed out all the time. People think it's part of the bearing, not a separate spacer they need to remove and re-use .....

full

Back