Rim width recommendations? (Front vs Rear sizing)

Are you going to have two calipers, or one? My XS1100 has two, and I remove them before the wheel comes off. I think that’s the deal. More futzing.
Single caliper, stock 1981 650 special. I think the issue is when you pull the caliper outwards off of the rotor, than 1/2 inch you lost by going with an 18" wheel causes some interference. I'm waiting to hear back from gggGary as he's done this.

Have to take the pads out (first) and that's a trick then, caliper off bracket to remove cuz the caliper hits the rim before it comes clear of the edge of the rotor. Even more fun with my dual disk set up but I've done it 3 or 4 times, Not horrible, just a bit futzy, shrug.
these kinda show how close it is. Stock calipers stripped and powder coated clear about 30 years ago.

Attachments

• LH brake detail.jpg
    LH brake detail.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 90
  • front RH.jpg
    front RH.jpg
    802.6 KB · Views: 87
Have to take the pads out (first) and that's a trick then, caliper off bracket to remove cuz the caliper hits the rim before it comes clear of the edge of the rotor. Even more fun with my dual disk set up but I've done it 3 or 4 times, Not horrible, just a bit futzy, shrug.
these kinda show how close it is. Stock calipers stripped and powder coated clear about 30 years ago.
That makes it very clear.

these kinda show how close it is. Stock calipers stripped and powder coated clear about 30 y

With a single disk, wouldn't I be able to pull the axle, drop the wheel down a little, so the hub center on the opposite side clears the fork bottom, creating a little wiggle room to pull the wheel the rest of the way? Just thinking out loud. Project is months off, just doing some planning before I commit to buying rims. BTW, I'm using some 81 spoked hubs I found on FleaBay that should be here today, but right now the bike is on the stock 19-16 mags it came with.

With a single disk, wouldn't I be able to pull the axle, drop the wheel down a little, so the hub center on the opposite side clears the fork bottom, creating a little wiggle room to pull the wheel the rest of the way? Just thinking out loud. Project is months off, just doing some planning before I commit to buying rims. BTW, I'm using some 81 spoked hubs I found on FleaBay that should be here today, but right now the bike is on the stock 19-16 mags it came with.
You may find you gain space by removing the fender. Either way, there’s going to be futzing.

I even tried loosening hte rotor to make it easier. To be honest; it's been a while since the wheel was off last and I don't remember the drill 'zackly.
Probably have a review coming up, think a front tire change is coming due.

I even tried loosening hte rotor to make it easier. To be honest; it's been a while since the wheel was off last and I don't remember the drill 'zackly.
Probably have a review coming up, think a front tire change is coming due.
That would be awesome. Where in Wisconsin are you? I've only been there one when I raced at Road America in '88. It is a beautiful state.

"Futzy" wheel removal with a 2.15x18 flanged aluminum rim up front? I never thought so, and I've used that setup for almost 20 years. Just unbolt the caliper from the mount and pull it up and away, there's plenty of room. Hang it from a bungee cord or wire or whatever to keep from stressing the brake line. Leave the mount alone and take the pads and spacers off the tracks of the mount and put them where they'll stay clean.

T
"Futzy" wheel removal with a 2.15x18 flanged aluminum rim up front? I never thought so, and I've used that setup for almost 20 years. Just unbolt the caliper from the mount and pull it up and away, there's plenty of room. Hang it from a bungee cord or wire or whatever to keep from stressing the brake line. Leave the mount alone and take the pads and spacers off the tracks of the mount and put them where they'll stay clean.
Thanks. Still debating. What size and type and brand of tire are you running ?

That would be awesome. Where in Wisconsin are you? I've only been there one when I raced at Road America in '88. It is a beautiful state.
High in the bluffs over Baraboo.
my 18" rim is 3.00 wide and that may make the difference for removing caliper. Profile could change things also, I've got mud catchers with tall shoulders..
front wheel quarter profile.jpg

my 18" rim is 3.00 wide and that may make the difference for removing caliper. Profile could change things also, I've got mud catchers with tall shoulders..View attachment 207403
my 18" rim is 3.00 wide and that may make the difference for removing caliper. Profile could change things also, I've got mud catchers with tall shoulders.
my 18" rim is 3.00 wide and that may make the difference for removing caliper. Profile could change things also, I've got mud catchers with tall shoulders.. View attachment 207403
That's a heckuva nice fork brace. My FleaBay hubs arrived today, off of an '80. Perfect for what I want to do. I just have to decide 18" or 19". Dunlop K-70 specs show a 4.00-18 being 4.17" wide with the widest 19" being 3.78. Not enough difference to really matter and they are both the same diameter. If I go with the Dunlop K-180 tires the 18" tire is a 120/90 which is 4.9" and that is a little too close to the 5.0 space between the forks. The K-180 19" is a 100/19 which is 4.1" wide although it's a half inch smaller in diameter. Yeah I know I'm overthinking things, I always do. Thanks

Gotta be rim width that gives you grief, Gary. My 2.15x18s have tall shoulders like OE dog pee catchers. Georgia, I'm running 2.15x18 front and rear with Bridgestone BT45s, 100/80/18F and 110/90/18R. Steering on these bikes gets faster and more linear when you get the nose down and the rear up. Shocks are 13.5" eye-to-eye free length, up from stock 12.75".

Gotta be rim width that gives you grief, Gary. My 2.15x18s have tall shoulders like OE dog pee catchers. Georgia, I'm running 2.15x18 front and rear with Bridgestone BT45s, 100/80/18F and 110/90/18R. Steering on these bikes gets faster and more linear when you get the nose down and the rear up. Shocks are 13.5" eye-to-eye free length, up from stock 12.75".
Got any photos of you bike?

Why, sure. Click on the photo over my board name at left, then click on the number 7 under Media. That will bring up some pics.

Back