Running rough

Frank47

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just back from short ride to beach before WX moves in. Engine started running rough. Fresh non ethanol gas, new plugs, air filters clean. Besides rechecking plugs & using carb cleaner, what else should I check?

New plugs with 25-30 miles. Too rich right? Newbie & haven’t played with carbs in many years.

Attachments

• IMG_1160.jpeg
    IMG_1160.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 40
NGK BP7ES weren’t available at 3 local auto parts. One sold me NGK resistor plugs & said would work. Nope. Apparently ceramic insulator too cold for spark for this bike. Cleaned old plugs & running good. Ordered new ones from Amazon. Thanks for help guys, I’ll be back soon with more questions.

You may have trouble finding the BP7ES plugs in the U.S. now. For some reason, NGK has discontinued them. But, you can still get them from Europe or the U.K. They sell them there but under a new stock number, 2412. Here's a box I ordered on eBay from England .....

NGKPlugNewNumber.jpg

You can also buy some NGK LZFH caps. They're non-resistor caps. Then you can run the resistor plugs. I generally keep both combinations on hand.
Rumor has it on the Honda CB boards that resistor plugs are like running a colder heat range plug, I have no idea if there's any truth to that or not though? Any idea?

From what I remember on plug theory, the size of the insulator determines the heat range, so I'm doubtful the resistance has much effect.

Rumor has it on the Honda CB boards that resistor plugs are like running a colder heat range plug, I have no idea if there's any truth to that or not though? Any idea?
I can tell you that when the supply of D8EA NGK's runs-out the CB crowd is gonna shit; as the long-reach plug caps required on 750 fours (and others) are unobtainium in non-resistor :eek:

Don't know what's -up at NGK; about all of their non-resistor products - plugs and caps - are discontinued:shrug:

I can tell you that when the supply of D8EA NGK's runs-out the CB crowd is gonna shit; as the long-reach plug caps required on 750 fours (and others) are unobtainium in non-resistor :eek:

Don't know what's -up at NGK; about all of their non-resistor products - plugs and caps - are discontinued:shrug:
Agreed about the long reach...but I was mostly speaking of the CB350 crowd, we're going through same issues with non-resistor plugs in that arena as well.

I think its all about supply and demand...not enough demand to cater to the non-resistor audience any longer. We're all being phased out like the dinosaurs. 😢

Back