Scrambler rebuild engine with a tick

Bjorn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Let me introduce myself in my first post here on the board.

Im Bjorn, 21 years old and im from the Netherlands (Europe). I have been building my own scrambler from April this year. And I have found a lot of tips and tricks on this forum, by mainly just reading old posts(great stuff!). But after building non stop this summer and my xs is finally done engine wise and the overall look i want to ride it really badly haha.

But I hear a tick around the engine. It has a very low frequency, around ones every 2,5 seconds when stationary. And ones every second if im riding 80 km/h in fourth gear. The noise goes up with the RPM's

Since the crank- and camshaft turn much quicker, i dont think thats causing it.

I have rebuild the top end of the engine.

-cam bearings
-lapping valves
-rear cam chain guide
-pistons
-cylinders

The only thing i can think of with this frequency is maybe the cam chain. I kept the original chain but did replace the masterlink. I remember that the original link had copper heads. But the new one didnt. I bought it from Heiden tuning (same stuff as mikexs) And remember that this link seem to had more sideplay (just a fraction more than all other links) Could this be it?

I have made a little movie where you can here the noise. I tried to locate it with a large screwdriver. but i cant place it. In fact it doesnt seem to really come out of the engine. If i put my ear to the handle i would hear the tick more with the other ear.

Here is the movie and i hope someone here could help me out.

Thank you.

The only thing I was able to hear was the tick caused by heat expansion of metals-- something that is quite normal. But then I do have a tin ear so maybe I'm not hearing what you're hearing.

I have never thought about that! Mabye its my exhaust. I just a tool to locate sounds. Like the screwdriver but than the real deal :p

And same story, could not pin point the sound. I actually hear it louder without the listening tool.

Just tried to loosen my mufflers a bit so the metal could expand. No difference in sound. I dont think its the exhaust.

anyone else?

maybe for others with the same problem in the future. I found out what was causing it. I put a D.I.D. masterlink on a Tsubaki cam chain. There is a difference in pin diameter of 0,5 mm. This is causing the ticking sound. Just ordered a new D.I.D chain.

Back