Should I buy this XS?

ninskrillz

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, been hunting around for an XS for about a month now, and I think I'm going to make a deal on one. Last week I took a bus trip up to PA from VA to check out a 79 Special with 6900 original miles. The bike was at the local shop being commissioned for sale. The ad said it was a strong runner and was priced at 1600. I talked to the guys at the shop and they said the bike was ready to be ridden. They did a compression test 160 psi in both cylinder. They cleaned the carb, adjusted the floats, and put new seals etc in. They added a new battery, fresh oil and spark plugs and new tires on it.

I was fairly skeptical, but made the trip. Got up there and the bike looked ok. Checked the title and the numbers, came up clear. I then attempted to start the bike. It wouldn't fire right away. After a few shots with the choke it eventually started. It ran like crap. Wouldn't idle right unless gas was given. The shop manager said its been sitting a couple weeks but they ran it every couple days. He claimed this is the first time its happened. So I take the bike out for a short jaunt. Sputtered like it had a vacuum leak. Sure enough the left side carb boot wasn't seated right. Took it back to the shop but I couldn't. Get it right as it was hard. The guy had old parts all over the shop so I found a boot I could make work. So I fixed the sputtering. Still wouldn't idle right. Probably a gummed pilot jet. When I got the bike back into the shop the left cylinder was burning white smoke. I checked the oil, and it smells like fuel. The guy had both petcocks on prime thinking it was reserve. So I changed the oil out and put 2.5 bottles of oil in it per the manual. Fired it up and still burning oil.

So I told the shop owner I wouldn't be able to offer more than 800 dollars for the bike. He understood, and put me in contact with the owner to make a deal. We settled on 1000 for him to deliver it, 800 if I pick it up. What do you guys think about this? I've been reading a lot of threads here the last week, and am hoping to get some advice from you guys. I've become somewhat capable with a wrench though I'm not the best. And I'm not sure iif a top end is definitely needed or not in this situation. I'm not quite sure I would want to buy a bike that needs a top end although I will have about 800 dollars left in my fund if I make the deal. What do you guys think? Any and all advice or comments welcome.

If you like the bike, $800 is the max for a bike that is not running right. With that compression, might just need carb and intake work. I bought a similar deal. I'm $400 into getting it to run right and just today have felt like I could ride it without being afraid of it breaking down on me. The electrical system (as I am learning) is SOOO crucial to how well it will run. if it has a low battery and the stator is weak it will run like crap!

if you buy it...

first off forget everything the shop told. you need to systematically inspect the entire bike. check compression and go from there. clean/inspect carbs, who knows what jets are in there. really get a feel of what you got. do the cam chain tension, valves, check timing. you may have found a really good deal, a fair deal or the worst lemon you've ever seen. won't know until you start diggin' in. in my opinion though, an $800 'runner' and another $800 left in your budget you can get it to the point of being a reliable rider if you do the work.

how does it 'look' overall? pics?

I forgot everything the shop told me right when I tried to start the bike lol. But yea, I've been researching how to do all these things, and a lot I've done on other bikes. This will be my second xs. The bike looked to be in pretty good shape overall, pretty much rust/pitting free. Road grime is pretty much it. I didn't even think to take pics while I was there, although I shoulda. I think I will be ok on this deal, but the oil thing is what I'm worried about. As far as the electrical system goes, I understand. Had a whole heaping electrical mess with the last XS i owned. If all goes well and I get her running right with little cash flow, the first step is a Pamco and PMA. Pretty much just trying to get a super reliable machine before I start digging into customizing stuff.

Back