Slits on bottom of 78 frame ?

johnpagn

Working on it every day
Reaction score
Ok so, Wile I was sand blasting my 78 xs 650 frame I noticed two slits in the bottom rails of the frame.
they are located in the same spot on each side right in that slightly swollen spot where the kick stand attaches and the matching spot on the other side.
The frame dosent seem to be messed up in any way so I'm thinking they are there intentionally ? , I checked my 79 frame and they arent there.
Any of u know whats up with this , or noticed the same ?

Yep, had 2 similar frames here. My cases ended up being broken/split tubing where water got into the frame and froze...

That would be my guess. I might get them welded and drill a couple 1/8 inch holes about there to let water drain out. I can't say I have seen cracks. I had a frame setting out and when I was moving it around I turn it upside down and rusty water ran out of the frame where the seat tubes set on top of the tubes that come up from the foot pegs. Where these tubes meet are open so water can get in. Either they should be sealed so water can't get in or a hole drilled to let water out.

I have one on a frame out back, just foward of the lower motor mount. Definately looks like a freeze expansion crack. I am planning on hammering it back in place and putting a weld on it. Musyt have been a northern bike at one time. Don't remember any freezing temps here in S Florida during the last 30 years, but we did come close.

Back