so what should i do about dumping 100s of dollars in wheels>?

4horsemen

Building is an Art
Reaction score
heres the scoop , i want to send my 21" front and rear wheels to get brass plated , they also will need custom spokes built , the cost to brass plate is 150$ each wheel , and the price to tru and lace both wheels is 300$ i paid 55$ for each rim , 81$ for a new rear hub , 15$ for brakes , spindle 35$, front brake and hub 27$ , front axle and bearings 25$ rear bearings 12$ , still need tires which they only have 2 ttht are street tires , avon tire 200$ each so the total costy for wheels alone is .......... 1317.00$

i wanted to go for the old antique brass look on the wheels , and a dark red on the hubs and frame , im thinking ill just have to do it , i have to much already invested ... sucks lol

then again a pair of 21" wheels done up are around 450 500 each anyways

Wheels make the platform for the build, the sweeter the wheels the sweeter the bike,

I just invested 700+ on a set of 21 front and rear and I did most the work. Would powder coating be any cheaper then platting? Some of the translucent powders over chrome will pull that effect

Attachments

• IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 141
Just the cost of doing what you want.

Can save a few dollars by powder-coating as suggested, and if you wanted to learn to do the res-poking and truing your self there are a couple of experts here that will help guide you through the process.

The some of the money saved can be spent on some tools that may help with the truing and res-poking. Tools last.

3 links to Lacing a wheel

I just did same thing brother! But only spent 150 on powder vs. brass. But 16s front and rear with tires im at 1150ish

i did think about powder coat , but i want a deep metal finish , rims are going to make the build, as far as truing and lacing i would do myself if i had the custom spokes made , i guess i could have him just loose lace it and send back to me, this bike im building will be top notch, so i guess ill just spend the money , hey we cant take it with us when we die , might as well spend it while we got it , quality is costly but the finished product will be worth it , no half assing on this one !

here is what I mean

killer wheels make killer bikes!

This is a copper translucent over chrome , and the bike is one of my most favorite metric builders ( I will own one of these!)

Attachments

• 928i[1].jpg
    928i[1].jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 177
i agree it looks good if done right, but you will never ever ever ever see your money back. EVER. So dont be surprised if you ever try to sell it and you dont receive much back. build three bikes instead, or build a bike and ride the country for three months.

i will be auctioning off this bike on ebay when done , my bikes have always pulled a profit , not in a hurry to sell it so will take time to sell like all bikes do , im keeping this build under 5000 hopefully i own a autobody shop so paints not a cost

We do a fair amount of brass powder coating. I have done several parts for members on here. If the chrome is good plating in really good shape then the finish turns out great. I wouldn't rule out powder as a option.

ok ill look into tht then and yea the rims are new so chrome is nice , could you post some pics swbill of some rims? would love to see finished product

more wheel pics total 700+ spent

I did all coatings and laced them my self, took to a local shop for truing

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0892.JPG
    IMG_0892.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 172
my daddy used to tell me, them fancy wheelsl wont make that bike run one inch faster.. i tend to believe him..but if yu like them then go for it. i run my bikes with whatever wheels they cum withalways have..

I don't think ANY chopped up xs650 is worth $5000... but that's just me.

There are some really good looking powder coats out there. I have seen some killer aluminum and brass powder coat finishes, and I would have never even known they were powder unless I was told. I bet someone can do brass powder coat too. Powder usually costs about $100 per rim.

Learn to lace the wheels yourself. Its not as hard as it looks. Lacing it yourself will save you major money too.

Based on your posts though, it sounds like you already made up your mind and you want the real deal. If you want real plating and to pay someone else to build the wheels, then go for it. But, if you're building the bike to turn a profit spending $1300 on wheels for an xs650 makes NO sense.

Back