Spokes do not look right

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today's task was to take off the back wheel from my new buy 76 Standard because my brief ride down the drive told me the rear brake was largely ineffective. In dismantling it, I was annoyed that the brake stay bolt had been inserted from the wrong side leaving me to find new flexibility to get at the nut on the inside sunk into the relief where the big bolt head should have gone. Fortunately, a crescent wrench on the exposed flats turned it off, hardly tight at all.
Another job was to switch out the 31 tooth sprocket to a 35 and also change to a longer chain. Front is 17 still. I know stock is 34 in Canada but I have the 35 on the shelf. The wheel had been put together without any locking plates on the sprocket so I will rectify that.
In addition, the some of the spoke heads look like they do not fit flush into the countersinks, they all ring different tones and a spoke was actually finger loose. Some of them seem to have a slight bend near the hub. Looks like I will teach myself wheel truing now. PO told me he had rebuilt both front and back with new spokes (as well as new Metzlers front and back).
My question to those with more experience than I, does this wheel look properly spoked?

Attachments

• SAM_4312.JPG
    SAM_4312.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 211
  • SAM_4313.JPG
    SAM_4313.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 186
  • SAM_4314.JPG
    SAM_4314.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 194
  • SAM_4315.JPG
    SAM_4315.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 199
The pattern appears correct. The nipple holes in the rim are angled towards the flange that spoke runs to and yours look right. You could check the pattern though by comparing an inner spoke on one flange to the one almost below it on the other flange. The holes in the flanges are offset about a half a hole between them. Here's how they should line up, how the spoke pattern should have been started .....

RespokeStart.jpg

Keep in mind that the spokes are angled differently... notice the angle in the pic above, right next to the 6:30 text, the bend is a 90 degree and an outer spoke, the inners will have a different angle. Might be hard to tell if you're not taking it apart.
Hopefully they were laced accordingly.

If those are the mikes stainless spokes the length head to bend is a bit different than the stockers, The heads not quite flush, centered is about what you get. I have run some mike's spokes pretty darned hard with no issues. a round of tightening after a hundred or few miles is not unreasonable on respoke wheels.

Attachments

• DSCF6484.JPG
    DSCF6484.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 216
Thank you all especially gggGary's comment about retightening, I will check all the spokes for a similar tightness, see how true it rolls.

On a used rim, it's usually not possible to get all the spokes tightened exactly the same. If you do, the rim probably won't be true. Yes, you want them all tight, just don't expect them to all ring the same.

I think the MikesXS stainless spokes suffer from the same quality control issues that effect many of their other products. I've gotten sets that fit perfectly and then a few months later another set that doesn't. The length of the bent portion on top is shorter on the ill fitting set. I'm thinking a new shipment, different production run, and not quality control checked. But Gary has a "fix" for this that involves putting a little bend near the top of the spoke. Maybe he'll share some pics.

Back