Special tool for the clutch...? '78 XS650

radxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine recently bought a bunch of tools for both Yamaha and BMW from a now closed dealer here...

If there is a specific tool to use when removing and replacing the clutch to get at the noisy / trashed electric starter gear, how would I identify said tool...?
I have a fairly decent tech manual and no mention of a tool needed.

Thanks,
Rob

Not sure what a factory Yamaha clutch tool would look like but aftermarket and homemade versions are basically a steel clutch plate with a handle attached .....

CqLDuND.jpg

97BAfTy.jpg

Another way is to slip one metal plate back in then reach through 2 or 3 of the slots with vice-grips (2 will work, 3 is better) and clamp them to the steel plate. If the vice-grips leave "bite" marks on the steel plate, sand or file it smooth again before putting it back in use.

View attachment 196063

@5twins posted the proper tools. What I’m showing here will either work just fine or destroy your clutch basket.
OMG Marty, why did you post that photo? Don't give people ideas......:laugh2:

The nut comes off pretty easily with an air wrench whilst holding the clutch cage with a heavy glove, but torquing it back on is the key issue.
Heck, just go buy the proper clutch tool . Its only 12 bucks.

Not sure what a factory Yamaha clutch tool would look like but aftermarket and homemade versions are basically a steel clutch plate with a handle attached .....

97BAfTy.jpg

View attachment 196063

Yup, looks like a winner right there.

@5twins posted the proper tools. What I’m showing here will either work just fine or destroy your clutch basket.

o_O

OMG Marty, why did you post that photo? Don't give people ideas......:laugh2:

The nut comes off pretty easily with an air wrench whilst holding the clutch cage with a heavy glove, but torquing it back on is the key issue.
Heck, just go buy the proper clutch tool . Its only 12 bucks.

I will, I need to know also if there is a special tool for the replacement of the starter gear...? Either holding of setting into place...?

Thanks,
rad

Here is how I justify the expenditure of money for a special tool:
1. I consider what it would cost ($$$$) to have an "expert" do it.
2. The "expert" might screw it up. Believe me, this happens.
3. There is great satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Here is how I justify the expenditure of money for a special tool:

3. There is great satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Agreed, I try to do all my own maintenance on al the motorcycles here.

Here you go. all the info you need is in this thread:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/starter-gear-fix.18060/

That is a great reference, appreciate that. If I need to do a clutch I will indeed source the correct parts for the starter gear fix. I do not mind kicking the XS, makes me look like a real motorcycle rider... lol

Thanks,
rad

Guess now that I'm getting close to being "allowed" to ride again after shoulder surgery I should see about hitting Harbor Fright and Bass Pro for some tools to try to fix the starter problem on the 650!

I did install a new spring a few years back when assembling the engine I swapped in to replace the original one but 90% of the time as soon as the first cylinder fires it kick the starter out of gear. Seem to recall the new spring was an OEM one but not sure if it was heavier than the one removed.

Back