Your cylinder barrels look very smart. Have you sprayed them with something? Mine are showing a little corrosion in places, especially behind the oil feed-line in front. They need to be treated with sometime.

Thank you. I attribute Stella's fine complexion to her life in the dry climate in the American SW. As far as I know, she hasn't had a full restoration.

oooooohhh - yuk-ola DB. I hope you have several seals as just about everyone who has talked about this job says that they ruin more than one getting the danged thing installed.

Anyhow - delighted that Stella is running well and that you are getting to enjoy her!

Pete

Even though the clutch pushrod seal is the usual culprit here, the countershaft seal can leak like crazy too if that big nut holding the sprocket on has come loose. It needs to be really tight, like 90 ft/lbs, for that seal to work good. And even with that lock washer with the sides bent up, they still come loose.

Even though the clutch pushrod seal is the usual culprit here, the countershaft seal can leak like crazy too if that big nut holding the sprocket on has come loose. It needs to be really tight, like 90 ft/lbs, for that seal to work good. And even with that lock washer with the sides bent up, they still come loose.

Yup, I've heard that before and, while I can imagine it leaking badly, it is hard to fathom how the nut comes loose with the lock washer bent properly.

Indeed. Tightened to 90# back in October. Maybe 1250mi? Already loose.

The clutch pushrod seal might not be the only culprit, but it was most definitely part of the conspiracy.

IMG_20170416_112439733_BURST001.jpg

You mean the output shaft nut is already loose after you tightened it?

Good grief!

@5twins, last time I installed this sprocket, I took 3M's advice of silicone sealant. You had recommended regular gasket maker. Would Permatex Motoseal apply? I believe this has been found to be a suitable replacement for Yamabond.

When I did my clutch seal , I also checked my sprocket nut and I literally spun it off with my fingers. I've got a feeling it's something that's going to require ongoing checks. Good luck with your seal replacement Daniel.

Complete! I had the first attempt halfway in and remembered the gasket maker. Damn. The second went in just as easy.

Thanks to the PO ahead if me, the sharp edge on the case had already been taken care of.

IMG_20170416_112643099.jpg

Packed with grease to catch debris.
IMG_20170416_115924713.jpg

The old bushing came out with the first bit.
IMG_20170416_141740361.jpg

Like a telescopic pick-it-up magnet tool, this one has a flexible stick.
IMG_20170416_125808294.jpg

IMG_20170416_125832843.jpg

New bushing and seal. Long pushrod replacing the two short rods and one ball bearing. There used to be a millimeter or so of side-to-side play. Now there is practically no play.
IMG_20170416_132437728.jpg

Very nice work there Daniel, and great photos as well. When I went to drill out my bushing, the drill bit spun the bushing in the case but wouldn't bite into it at first. I was afraid of pushing it into the case. I'm glad yours came out easy.
That's a good job to have behind you.

Yes, very nicely done. Yes, any sealer will probably work fine on the sprocket. Your last pic above nicely illustrates the problem. Many times the seal isn't the culprit here. Oil runs out along the splined shaft. To keep it in there, you need to seal the back of the sprocket against the bushing in the seal and the back of the nut and washer to the front of the sprocket. Making the nut really tight helps but so does a little gasket sealer on those contact areas.

Permatex Motoseal on the sprocket/bushing interface.
IMG_20170416_161752162.jpg

The sprocket/washer.
IMG_20170416_161949106.jpg

Washer/nut. It didn't look like that much as I was at it. Hmm.
IMG_20170416_162108689.jpg

Torqued to 80+#. My wrench goes up to 80, so I went until it clicked and just a bit more.
IMG_20170416_164122657.jpg

Clutch worm cleaned up, greased, reassembled.
IMG_20170416_165853001.jpg

She's all buttoned up, the bulk of the oil and grease cleaned off the bottom again. Ready for a spin.

Daniel - you do really nice work!

I'm comin' down tomorrow so you can do mine while I sit on my duff and enjoy the warm Arizona sun! I'll bring along the BEvERages and the All-Dressed Chips (I don't think you have that delicacy in the US).

Cheers,

Pete

Daniel, thanks for that little photo essay. I wasn't really clear how the whole gasket sealer thing worked with the sprocket and sprocket nut. That really cleared it up for me. I also still have a little dripping action on my output shaft seal. Even after REALLY tightening up the sprocket nut. Im going to have to try the Yamabond on there.
Btw, look how nice and clean you got that. Nice!

Daniel - you do really nice work!

I'm comin' down tomorrow so you can do mine while I sit on my duff and enjoy the warm Arizona sun! I'll bring along the BEvERages and the All-Dressed Chips (I don't think you have that delicacy in the US).

Cheers,

Pete

You need to come back Pete, I need a re-do chance to meet you! All Dressed up Chips? I had to look it up!
I thought it must be some kind of poutine thing. Haha

Back