Steps to build cafe racer?

IdahoPilot

XS650 Cafe builder
Reaction score
Hello all, New to the forum. I have searched a little for what is needed to build a cafe racer, and am looking for a little guidance.

I have a 1981 XS 650 special that I have been sitting on for a while. And think its time to make something out of it. Once I get it running that is.

Mainly what I am wondering, is what is the cheapest way to build this into a cafe racer.
Handlebars, seat, tires?? What is generally used to do this. Sorry if I seem a little oblivious :doh:, but I have worked on bikes, and owned them, but never done any serious modification. Thanks so much in advance

IdahoPilot

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by cheapest. As in, " I only have $5000 to spend", or " I only have $1000 to spend". If you are on a low budget you will have to skip a lot of the so called "cafe" mods.
First, I would make sure my bike was in good working condition. Then move on to cosmetics. On the cheap you could get some taller shocks, clubmans, and make your own hump seat or buy one. Maybe a different tank if you can swing it. XS750 tanks are a popular choice with few modifications to mount it.
Really it's up to you what you want and how far you are willing to go with it. It won't be cheap. There are some nice examples on the site here.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11146&highlight=los

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11846&highlight=bobber33+cafe

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3195&highlight=rude

Well, you definitely want taller shocks. 13 1/4 - 14". You can get those for as cheap as 80-100. But, they won't be that great. Some clubmans will run you about 40. A seat will run you around 150- 200. Get some new tires and make sure to get your brakes working real good. New chain and sprockets.You could end up dumping quite a bit just into your motor. That adds up quick. I just spent 350 on a good running engine. I would get it running and riding tip top first.

Awesome, That at least gives me a starting point. Probably won't happen immediately since the bike is not currently running. Gotta iron all that out. Thanks again jchrisk.

The cool thing about cafe is it's basically what you make it. There are guys out there that consider their bikes cafe racers and all they've done is change the bars, and that's OK. Others think the bike has to be highly modified. The important thing to remember about cafe is it's more about attitude than hardware. do what you can afford, make sure it runs and stops well above all else, and have fun!

a good chunk of that 1000 is gonna get it running, reliably. all new electrical, most likely your gonna go with a pma anyways, pamco, all new gaskets, new cam chain guides. depending on how your cylinders look that could end up costing you over 170-ish in parts alone. new bars, new cables, bringing your brakes up to a ride-able condition. carb innards to match your new pipes and air intake.

dont get me wrong. it can be done on the cheap. but alot of people dont really understand what it takes to get these back on the road, not even to mention the modifications and cost that go along with that, especially if you dont weld and fabricate.

i just made my last order from mikes this morning (my 3rd or 4th last order) to complete my build. and i know there is more that ill need, im just trying to get this effer on the road again.

not trying to get you down, just trying to open the eyes of some new people that come on here who have never brought a 35 year old bike back from the dead. grab a beer and settle in, the road is long and hard, but were all here to help along the way.

not trying to get you down, just trying to open the eyes of some new people that come on here who have never brought a 35 year old bike back from the dead. grab a beer and settle in, the road is long and hard, but were all here to help along the way.
=

this x100000

The heart and soul of a cafe racer is a perfectly tuned engine, do this first. Next is handling, get some new swingarm bushings, shocks and fork springs, oh and tires. Then start worrying about clubmans and rear sets.

You need a complete socket and allen key set, some feeler gauges, a timing light, and your new bible, the shop manual!

I rock the shitty clubmans from mikes but shitty they are. I dont mind them so much since I just slapped them on while I worry about the rest of my bike. Still makes me wanna throw up two fingers at passers by and hum rockabilly tunes though...

The cool thing about cafe is it's basically what you make it. There are guys out there that consider their bikes cafe racers and all they've done is change the bars, and that's OK. Others think the bike has to be highly modified. The important thing to remember about cafe is it's more about attitude than hardware. do what you can afford, make sure it runs and stops well above all else, and have fun!

Agreed! ^

Your first step should be to get the engine running. defiantly work on that first because you can easily sink $1000 on cafe parts and have just that..parts. and no running bike. Do you know what the problem is this bike? Because if it wont start it could be something as simple as plugs or carb syncing. Or you could be pulling the whole case apart. This is going to take some time to figure out. Either way start there first.

Next think about what stance you want. Traditionally cafes have clubmans or clip ons and high shocks. I don't like clubmans on the xs because the front sits up high as it is. I'm short so high shocks are not for me. I actually have my rear end slammed on my cl350 because I can't touch the ground. You should be fine with the stock shocks if they're in good condition. Height is based on performance and if your making it for the look and for blasting around town, your liking not going to need to be leaned over taking corners at 100mph.

With clip ons your probably going to want rear sets or your going to look and feel like your doing the long jump at a track meet. You can spend all different kinds of monies here. The cheapest and easiest route is the "xs650 set" that loaded gun customs make. They're not the top of the line but they're not crap.

Next is the seat, again here you can spend what ever you like. You can make one or have someone make one for you or buy one from the many retailers online. Cafes usually have a bump seat. You may need to do some slight fabricating depending on what you do with. Easiest route is ebay- search for xs650 seat and get one from the asian's that build them for the stock mounts.

Those 3 things will give you the look and feel of a cafe. Beyond that is just refining the look and performance you want. You could go all out and put in a PMA, simplified wiring harness, pamco ignition, o ring chain, dual disc brakes..the list goes on an on. I suggest you start with those 3 and work your way to other things as you feel the need and get the money. Because going all out can wipe out your bank. especially if your just wanting something to ride and have fun on.

Use ebay and xs650.com for acquiring parts. Use Dime city cycles and mikesxs for oem and aftermarket parts. I only buy some mikes when its absolutely necessary. I like the folks at dime city- fun bunch, no their stuff, and personal.

Your looking at:
Bars: $100 (Tarozzi makes a quality product)
Rear sets: $250
Seat: #200-300

What are some good outlets to go to for getting budget cafe parts?

Here's a few:

http://bellacorse.com/home.htm - Triumph, but lots adaptable
http://dimecitycycles.com/ - lots of cool stuff
http://www.hotwingglass.com/seats/road-race-4.shtml - seat
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/StoreFront rearsets and clip ons
http://omarsdtr.com/cafe.html
http://www.speedmotoco.com/ - dont buy his gaitors

Good luck - I just finished a cafe and have more sources saved and some good advice if needed. The XS650 is the best platform for building a Cafe.

Agreed! ^

Your first step should be to get the engine running. defiantly work on that first because you can easily sink $1000 on cafe parts and have just that..parts. and no running bike. Do you know what the problem is this bike? Because if it wont start it could be something as simple as plugs or carb syncing. Or you could be pulling the whole case apart. This is going to take some time to figure out. Either way start there first.

Got the bike running a while back, Needed new coils. And a new battery. So I replaced the plugs, and wires while I was at it. Runs like a top now, But rpm at idle seems to build and won't just stay at a nice idle.

Glad its running. If you need help with the carbs which I think is why it's not idling properly let me know. Pics on this post willhelp you getting more support.

Now go cafe it. I have a clubman handle bar and one bar end mirror cheap.

When you twist on the throttle does it snap back immediately? The throttle tubes are just junk plastic and they can get gunked up. Could also be a throttle cable thats seen better days

Back