Sticky clutch

machstang

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that my clutch plates are sticking together. I have taken it apart and wiped down the plates and re-assembled dry. Actuated the clutch while spinning the rear wheel while in gear and it operates just fine. I then oiled everything closed the case and added fresh oil. The clutch was fine for the remainder of the day. The next morning the plates were stuck again. The bike is in a warm garage so I don't think it's a viscosity issue. I am running 20w-50 and it ran fine all last season. Today I started the bike on the center stand and put it in and out of hear a few times hoping to get some oil between the plates with no luck. There are no indents in the clutch hub or anything that would hang it up. I'm at the point of buying new plates but would like to see if there are any other solutions out there before I buy the plates.

before you start it for the first time for the day, pull the clutch lever in, and kick until the kicker goes limp, with ignition off. then start as usual.

I had the same problem, put new plates and springs last November but never rode it. Then we got really busy at work until early spring when I went to ride it and found the clutch stuck solid! I took it apart last Wednesday and threw it in a bucket of oil for the night. The next day I noticed some scratch marks behind the basket and remembered that I had done the clutch screw mod and used longer screws than came out. Turns out the screws had bottomed out and locked the clutch up tight. So I ground a couple threads back and now it works fantastic. So did you do the mod? Could your screws be hitting the basket?

Going to try the kicker thing. Also no screw mods yet. I plan on putting in the sleeved Allen bolts next time I have the case open. Good to know that may happen.

So im all resolved. Drained the oil, cleaned the filters, cleaned the plates, and refilled with yamalube. Not really sure what was going on. Maybe I had some bad oil.

Back