Suggestions for Grinder/Sander...

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm ready to begin cutting the back off my 82 frame to weld on the hardtail from Lowbrow Customs. What tools should I use? My uncle Caleb (Cro Customs) suggested the Makita Angle Grinder, but what size should I pick up? Also looking for a sander and any other stuff you guys would recommend...

-Darien

That would be about perfect. 4.5" angle grinder with some cutoff wheels, grinding wheels, and sanding flap discs.

You can use a sawzall too but you'll still want the angle grinder in the shop. I have a cheap black and decker angle grinder but it's a beast and has held up well over the years. I've probably done through 10 times as much money in consumables as I paid for the grinder.

I use bosch 4.5 angle grinders at work. they get drop kicked all the time, and never die. in a home shop they would prolly last forever. Ive had a few HF grinders to, they are ok, a little weak, and dont have a dead man switch, but for 20$ vs. bosch 100$, its a start if your on a budget.

HF 4 1/2 @ 15 bucks a pop you can buy 3 one for cut off wheels one for flapper disks and one for a grinding wheel. They come with extra brushes. The Makita I bought lasted 4 months and needed new brushes. The HF last just as well with heavy use.

Farm and Fleets 4.5" angle grinders work fine too at about $20.00 Like the Harbor fright they do not have a deadman switch. My dewalt 7" has a lot of hours on it It did some big projects with no complaint. A 7 and 4.5 are nice because about the time the cut off disks get too small for the 7 they chuck in the 4.5 and go again. A Caswells buffer adapter on an angle grinder is a good polishing tool.

i have personally burned up the harbor freight grinder in less than an hour. after that i got a bosch on clearance at home depot, it has a vibration reducing handle on it. i have used that grinder to cut stucco, concrete, metal, pvc. ive used flap discs cutoff wheels, diamond blades, knotted wire wheels, wire cup wheels....... its insane what i have put it through and it still is going strong. 3 years and counting.
i cant recommend it enough.

anybody have any good descriptive videos or pictures of the process of cutting the back of the frame off and cleaning it up to prep for welding on the hardtail?

I have a milwakee 7 inch, makita 4 1/2 and a harbor freight 4 1/2. The HF grinder works great but it you get one open the head up and pack it full of bearing grease they come kinda dry. I've put mine through some abuse and it keeps on going

Back