Sump filter Purpose?

hey thx a lot man, got it out! kept hitting it with the rubber and moved to soft wood and it did the trick. most of the gasket came off with the cap, the rest that stayed on the engine was relatively easy to take off. one spot gave me some trouble though. So how clean does the surfaces need to be before i install the new gaskets, the gasket itself it off but there are some spats of residue?? any suggestions?

Hey guys im new to this site and new to working on bikes, you guys have been such a great help! i cant thank you enough. this is pretty simple stuff but i gotta take it slow and learn.

I have a bigger problem i will be trying to tackle soon, once i get my service manual. i started a thread on that too. There seams to be an oil leak where my dad says the head gasket is. the tread is called "my first xs650, HELP engine leaking oil" This wil be a test for me and i hope not to get overwhelmed

The cleaner the sealing surfaces the better the seal. On the new gasket, do not use a gasket sealer. I give the gasket a coat of grease or anti-sieze compound. Both help the gasket seal as well as make it easy to remove it next time.
On the bolts, they only get like 7 ft/lbs of torque. That ain't much. If you over tighten them the heads will break off of the stock bolts. If replaced with store bought bots you can strip the holes in the case if over tightened.
Easy does it.
Leo

Gasket surfaces should be as clean, smooth and true as possible. I used a Stanley blade in a little holder (Iwas sick of cutting my finger ends) and, with the flat of the blade only just peel away gently. Dont dig i too hard or you gouge the alluminium. Once done, a gentle rub with some 1000 grit oiled wet and dry finishes it off.
As XSLeo says dont bother with gasket sealant. i use a fine smear of grease on each of the mating surfaces. Not only does it help the gasket seal but also holds the gasket in place and stops it falling off.

Back