There are two kinds of motorcycle riders...

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Those that have faw-down-go-boom, and those that will.

Went to walmart this afternoon to pick up a couple of odds and ends.

Got done, fired up the bike and started to pull out of my space making a hard right turn at foot-paddling speed, tho I did have my feet up on the pegs.

For some reason, the bike bogged for a split second and quit before I could grab the clutch.

I fought the good fight trying to keep it up but it wasn't to be and it got over past the point of no return so I laid it as gently as I could on the right side cage. Fortunately, I was at a dead stop by that point and the outermost plastic button was the only thing that contacted the ground.

After I picked it back up (460 pounds is light for a modern bike, but DAMN heavy for an old fart to pick up!) using the "butt against the seat, grab one handlebar and the luggage rack, lift with your knees" method I set about re-starting it.

Crank-crank-crank...nothing. Seeing as the start button is also the kill switch, can't be that. Wait a few seconds. Crank-crank-crank...nothing. WTF?

Then I notice the check engine like blinking at me. Turn key off, wait a second, turn key back on, bump the starter - VROOOM! Whew...

Look around to see how many people are laughing at me, ride regally off into the sunset...

a hard right turn at foot-paddling speed, tho I did have my feet up on the pegs.

For some reason, the bike bogged for a split second and quit before I could grab the clutch.
That scenario has bit me a time or two also.... Happy there's no real harm.
One of Murpheys laws..... "The stupidity of one's actions is directly proportional to the number of people watching at the time."

Nobody saw it..... dint' happen :whistle:

Well DE, I only wish I could say that I haven’t dropped my bike. I seem to have a way of tipping bikes over inside my garage. One time a clutch lever also managed to put a nice crease down the side of my new car door! :doh:
Don’t let it bug you brother.

I used to fall over for no apparent reason at low speed or stopped all the time. Hasn't happened in a long time, thankfully. I was impressed that it wouldn't pin me under; would rest on the handlebar or something instead.

...started to pull out of my space making a hard right turn at foot-paddling speed, tho I did have my feet up on the pegs.

For some reason, the bike bogged for a split second and quit before I could grab the clutch...

THAT particular scenario right there.

Long ago, dealing with varieties of shop bikes, adopted a method.
Unless going in a straight line, I keep the clutch in the partially engaged "feathering" zone, up until about 10 mph.

I've never done an MSF course.
How do they teach that procedure?

How do they teach that procedure?
Not sure what happened to him exactly so don't know what would apply. I was taught don't use the front brake at low speed with the handlebar turned (lest you "fall over in the Walmart parking lot" no less). They teach pulling out only in a straight line, which I think of now as a glaring shortcoming. If you're talking about low speed turns, it was feather the clutch, drag the rear brake, and keep the revs up. You control your speed with the rear brake, really.

The first time I went over at low speed I was turning into a parking lot on the right, and coming out of the lot was a guy in a car who was looking to his right as if he was asleep. He wasn't headed directly at me, but the sight of that somehow caused me to lose my balance in the middle of the turn. It was kind of nauseating seeing him. Very weird. I'd probably been riding less than a year then.

Last edited:
Update: Woke up this morning and realized I pulled a muscle in the ol' glutes while trying to save the bike.

Walking like Chester on Gunsmoke...

OUCH!! You could try ice - and alcohol.

Apply some externally and drink the rest. It may still hurt, but you won’t notice as much.

All seriousness aside - take it easy and get well.

Those that have faw-down-go-boom, and those that will.
Went to walmart this afternoon to pick up a couple of odds and ends.
Got done, fired up the bike and started to pull out of my space making a hard right turn at foot-paddling speed, tho I did have my feet up on the pegs.
I fought the good fight trying to keep it up but it wasn't to be and it got over past the point of no return so I laid it as gently as I could on the right side cage. Fortunately, I was at a dead stop by that point and the outermost plastic button was the only thing that contacted the ground.
After I picked it back up (460 pounds is light for a modern bike, but DAMN heavy for an old fart to pick up!) using the "butt against the seat, grab one handlebar and the luggage rack, lift with your knees" method I set about re-starting it.
Crank-crank-crank...nothing. Seeing as the start button is also the kill switch, can't be that. Wait a few seconds. Crank-crank-crank...nothing. WTF?
Then I notice the check engine like blinking at me. Turn key off, wait a second, turn key back on, bump the starter - VROOOM! Whew...
Look around to see how many people are laughing at me, ride regally off into the sunset...

Hi Downeaster,
I can add a third category:-
Those who have fallen off every solo bike he's ever owned and then strapped a sidecar onto his bike.
Closest I came to falling off my sidecar rig was being rear-ended at a traffic light by a Filipino gentleman driving a small Toyota.
The offset nudge from the rear knocked me off the bike seat so I ended up kinda wedged between the bike and the sidecar.
Guess he was used to driving like a maniac back 'ome and just gunned it when the light changed regardless of the old fart in front
of him still waiting to recognize that the red light had turned green.
No injury to myself and no damage to my rig so after I'd extracted myself and checked I wasn't hurt except for my bruised ego
I just told him to drive with greater care, at least until the ink on his Canadian licence had dried.

Well I have went down three times WITH a sidecar on the old 1981 XS650 work bike! Once while playing around in the back yard another time while again being stoooped doing donuts in the snow at work. Finally learned that when doing clockwise donuts you need to straighten out before letting off the throttle. If you don't that rear knobby gets a bite of traction and down on the left side you go!

The third time was not even my fault if you can believe that! Getting tee-boned in your own driveway sure seems like someone was where he didn't belong!

Dropped my '75 XS650 last year, trying to kick start it. Lost balance and the bike pinned my right leg against a wooden planter.Barely managed to extricate myself and the knee was a bit sore, but didn't seem too bad. Then it swelled up like a softball and developed two hematomas that didn't drain well. It was three months before I could walk right, and some limping persisted even longer. Trying to get the electric starter working before that happens again.

I'm paying forward though. Saw a poor soul in the Walmart parking last week with his bike on the ground, straining mightily but not quite able to get it back up, til I helped him. Walking back to my car, I heard a noise. Don't know how, but he had dropped it again. We got it back up again, but he was having trouble starting it. When I came out of Walmart, I was glad to see his friend helping him.

Dropped my '75 XS650 last year, trying to kick start it. Lost balance and the bike pinned my right leg against a wooden planter.Barely managed to extricate myself and the knee was a bit sore, but didn't seem too bad. Then it swelled up like a softball and developed two hematomas that didn't drain well. It was three months before I could walk right, and some limping persisted even longer. Trying to get the electric starter working before that happens again.

I'm way out of practice using a kicker. Been riding a 1988 Sportster since Nov of 1987 and now have the 1992 Sportster, neither of them have kickers.

And then there is the 1981 XS650 I did kick start that all the time as it was easier than trying to keep the electrics working on a bike run in all kinds of nasty weather. The catch is that one had the sidecar which eliminated the balance problem.

Now that I have the 1982 Heritage Special that needs some work on the over grown paper clip on the starter gear many times I'm finding the kicker to be the fastest way to fire it up. I'll get to that spring clip this winter!

Back