Thinking of downgrading got me thinking

gentlemanjim

More Wrenchin than Ridin
Reaction score
As I was giving suggestions for a second alternate bike I went ahead and got one. It even runs only 11,000 miles. Paid $600.00 delivered to my door. The "Joker" PO must have painted it with a vacuum cleaner or roller or who knows. So it needs a fresh finish, carb cleaning of course and a little spit and polish. My wife thinks I bought it to fix up and sell, but we all know better than that - so don't tell her I'm gonna keep it.

What's a good color for a cruiser style bike

Oh the Shadow in the background, that one I did sell - way too complicated bike.

Here's my downgrader
IMG_1897.jpg

For us old guys it's very hard to beat a V twin's riding position. Love my Shadow ACE for that reason at 42,000 miles it's still reliable for me but I know what you mean as far as complexity. The Viragos seem to be pretty good overall, in out on the carbs is a PITA, the starter fix isn't bad to do. and they can be had cheap for sure. Not quite the pretty girl on the bus. The wide angle of the V and slightly "clunky" cylinder style I guess are where that comes from. enjoy and customize away. It will be interesting to see what develops as many "oriental" V twins start to hit that no longer dealer repairable cost benefit zone.

ggg,

Ya, the radiator, water pump, thermostat and plumbing were just too may potential problems for me to deal with on an older bike. I agree the 70 degree V is not as balanced as the symetrical 45's of HD or the Suzuki S50, but the 52 of Honda is a bit ungainly as well.

Tell me what you know about the starter drive fix - mine works, but is inconsistenet.

I'll make her purty - not some cool color suggestions.

I bought an ebay kit and it went pretty easy nothing hard to get to. As normal you want to be sure there is no oil in the starter motor. Search the web and there are a bout a bazillion fixes out there. Seems like I got the less than $50 dollar kit from a guy in Illinois? That was on a 750 but I think all the 750 and up are the same.

shadows.jpg

My wife rides hers more than I ride mine 750 / 1100 Aces with a few mods.

Yep, yanking the carbs on the 96' Virago I had wasn't what I would call fun. It took me a while just to figure out how to get the damn seat off! :laugh:

Maybe the most comfortable of the late '80s style Japanese cruisers right there, IMO. Nice find for $600.

Weekendrider - I registered. but haven't receive my access yet - Thanks

Travis, are the carbs any more difficult than on a Honda Shadow?

Teebs, I agree I roode an XV1100 wayback and it was very nice. I think this XV1000 will make a nice sister to my XS650, but you know how girls are always quibbling and fighting.

It's been a while, but what I remember about pulling and installing carbs on the Shadow is the intake snorkel thing being a pain in the ass. That was an 84 VT700C so I'm not sure how that compares to what you're used to. And I'm not sure if all the Viragos are the same, but the one I had was a pain to get the carbs out of the boots and back into the boots. You had to take one boot off the head and it wasn't easy to get at the bolts with the carb still in it. So I guess it's one thing for another. I'm getting spoiled by my XS with the Mikuni VM's on it.

That's why I chose the Virago and love the XS's simple to work on - no snorkle issues air cooled and shaft drive. The only thing I don't like is theelectric fuel pump - you can't beat gravity for simple.

Back