Tire manufacture date - how important?

I guess my friend has me more concerned about this, but I reflect back about 5 years ago, I had a 1984 Mercedes 380SE, a mint car from AZ. I bought a set of used rims and tires from our equivalent of Craigslist. The tires were Michelin’s and they had tread that looked like new. I thought I hit the jackpot on this purchase. I slapped them on and went for a ride. The first stop I came to the tires screeched like I had been doing 60 mph. When I took off from the intersection I was doing a crazy burnout (one tire only) after lightly hitting the gas pedal. I thought with more miles they would be better but they weren’t. Ended up keeping the rims and tossing the tires. It was odd because the tread compound seemed quite soft to the touch and there were no visible indicators of rubber degradation. Now in this case the tires were so old they didn’t have a readable date code.
Thx for the comments.

Hi all!

Here is an interesting take on the issue of tire expiration dates. I’ll freely admit that I learned a few things….check it out:

….and here is a graphic that illustrates the dilemma in which some of us may find ourselves:

3FEEA230-F9E5-45FC-8630-D038D3608FAA.jpeg

All that being said, I am going to continue to run the set of Heidenau race compound tires that I mounted back in 2012. Low miles.

I realized I never updated this post from last year. The manufacturer, Dunlop told me warranty began on the date of purchase so there was nothing to be concerned about. The supplier in the meantime had dialogue with Dunlop. Dunlop quickly contacted me and told me to return the tires because they didn’t recommend using any tire past a mfg date of 6 years old. These tires were about 5 years old already. That was interesting… one day they’re ok and the next week I was instructed to take them back.??

The vendor contacted me and offered to discount the tires if I kept them. They gave me 50% off which was a good deal because I wasn't keeping the bike for long.

I know many people who ride on older tires without issue. I suppose if you’re an old guy like me that normally rides “upright” and doesn’t attempt to drag a knee or elbow in the corners, older tires should be ok. They do show their age in the cold and if the road surface is damp. My new tires for the ‘79 only cost me about $235 Cdn, so for that small amount, I’d rather have peace of mind that the tires won’t let me down. Btw, the new tires I just got were manufactured less than 6 months ago.

Now I’ll watch Pete’s video.

Edit: Watched it, quite informative. The storage of the tires was very important as I researched this last year. Major manufacturers should have “climate controlled” storage but where the old tires lived before being sold to me couldn’t be validated.

Last edited:
I’ve witnessed some pretty hard charging on ancient tires. I’ve seen people really hanging it out on 20 year old tires.

True - me too.....but I have also witness a guy having blow-out at speed on old tires.

....it didn't look like very much fun to me.

Short comments it depends on riding style and what tire.
In the eighties I ended upon Dunlops for a while i did not care that much I asked the shop and took what he had .
Some of them was so sticky and soft that they felt almost like glue on the surface I told a friend that if you throw this tire at the wall it will. stick and be hanging there . But they did not last .. and this without any racing style riding ( some of the tires probably was for a more sporty ride )

The touring bikes used Semperit in those days lasting much longer and had harder rubber For long autobahn riding. Lasted for ever but with poorer grip.

I never checked any date codes and never replaced any tire because of it being old.
I even had a front tire with cracked sides on for two MOT inspections being advised change it.
Not wanting to do it ..since there was still deep ..pattern .At least 10 years old .. But eventually changed it. Still with thread on them

Nowadays I change quicker ..not wanting to loose grip .. To little to save and to much to loose.

I have had 3 flat tires on bikes all of them on the back wheel.
2 of them not noticing before returning back to the parked bike one steel nail in a pretty much brand new back tire
One on a close to bald back wheel ..loosing air.

One was a bit more exiting I came rather fast into a large diameter Roundabout from a faster section of the highway ca 100 Km / h perhaps a bit under in the roundabout on a XS 650
When leaning the rear end started pumping sideways .. up down. Like starting to wobble.. I reduced throttle and raised the bike more upright. Slowing down
there was only a Little air left in the tire . I am thinking the centrifugal force kept it out on the highway and I did not notice it before the sideways loads came in . I continued on on the little air still in to a service service station not far away and got hold of

Something like that below and went home..
So to sum it up Normal riding style and extra care when wet. I don't believe one or a couple of years makes a big difference.
But if buying new it should be informed that it is not new if so.

1646236631494.png

Back