Tire Question - BMW

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Still trying to sell a BMW K1200RS for a friend. One of the drawbacks is REALLY old tires. He's thinking a fresh set of rubber might make it more attractive.

OTOH, recouping the cost of a set of top-of-the-line Michelins is unlikely.

So my question is, what is a decent, reputable brand of tires that won't break the bank? I'll post back with sizes in a bit.

Curiously, Bridgestones and Michelin Pilot Road 5's are within pennies of each other, and under $400 for a pair, which is cheaper than I expected.

In UK we are allowed to use part worn tyres which are obviously much cheaper. I believe that in some countries there are regulations regarding the age of tyres, whereas in UK they are mostly interested in the appearance ( not too cracked and not bald). Pardon me if I offer a comment, many bikers actually like to do a bit to their bikes if only to take it to the shop to put new tyres on it. Perhaps its just the time of year which explains there being little interest? I had a 20 year old oil head BMW immaculate with all the whistles and bells, I bought it cheap and sold it cheap because many BMW riders like to ride new bikes and there is a very limited market in UK for older bikes. Our e bay is full of highly priced low mileage BMWs which just arent selling because nobody wants them. They are too expensive for tinkerers like me and too old for the 500 mile a year "ride it when the sun shines " crew.

I've been advertising it for over a year. One serious bite that passed on it when there was a delay due to a paperwork snafu.

I feel there are a couple of reasons it's unpopular:

1. Maintenance/parts costs on Beemers are insane.

2. It's not your usual long-distance tourer, more of a sport-touring with a semi-crouched riding position. I suspect the Beemer crowd is more toward the Goldwing end of the spectrum.

Aging riders are heading towards smaller bikes.
"adventure" bikes are "in style"
That's not an easy size to find. Shinko's are my goto, Verge for the rear? Ran one on a K1200GS and several other big bikes with zero issues.
Yeah tits up ABS, crap brake lines, pumpkin issues, can all be gotchas on the old bimmers.
Oddly on used bikes new tires is good, I just don't get blow back about the brand long as they are new.
Shinko Tires

Shinko 011 Verge Tires​

Item: P148868 SKU: 594539

Read 64 Reviews 1 Q&A Write a Review

Designed specifically for sport and sport touring riding, the Shinko 011 Verge combines performance with extended tread life. The 011 Verge radial tir… Read More

$146.98

$194.95
Save $47.97 25%

Last edited:
Personally New tires would not make much difference to me
Back in the day with Brit bikes there was a saying ---If you cannot afford a new machine don't buy it

So buying an old motorcycle the buyer mostly factors in some costs .. More or less severe or not
A buyer typically makes an overhaul himself Oils / Points if such i there and so on Many put on their own accessories like pipes or so

Tires is a wear item that is in the same class as oils. So buying a bike other things is more important than tires
Charging / Mileage / Overall condition / Oil leaks / Price./ Quiet running motor / Service book .

Some riders might not want Cheap tires at all .It is Michelin or no riding
Its a powerful machine 130 Hp quick googling
I would have it as a negotiation item.

The only time tires could be a factor is a shop maintained machine with paperwork .So all other things are OK and up to status

Just thinking out loud with no information I would guess to high mileage at to high asking price.

Back