Tires

IMG_3670.jpeg
IMG_3666.jpeg

I use the 712 rears all the time but don't care for the matching 712 front. It's kinda "squirmy", giving a gentle head shake as I go through about the 35 to 40 MPH range. I guess I've grown used to it because I hardly notice it anymore, but needless to say, I won't be using one again.
5T, that gentle head shake is EXACTLY what I experience with the 712 front in my TX650A. I'll likely replace them in a year or two.

:twocents: If you can find, buy a cheap wheel balancer just do it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-58738.html
KIMG3538.JPG
once the heavy spot starts moving around that's good enough.
I know you and you'll get your money's worth out of it. ;)
I have a fancy shmancy Coats manual MC tire changer in the SOIR but use 2x4s on the floor and tire irons in the winter. Cuz wood stove.
Can't over emphasize heat is your friend when mounting tires; a hot tire is an easy to mount tire.

I can sketch a cheap diy wheel stand won't even need bearings a welder would be nice make it easy to put together.

:twocents: If you can find, buy a cheap wheel balancer just do it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-balancing-stand-58738.html
View attachment 259383
once the heavy spot starts moving around that's good enough.
I know you and you'll get your money's worth out of it. ;)
I have a fancy shmancy Coats manual MC tire changer in the SOIR but use 2x4s on the floor and tire irons in the winter. Cuz wood stove.
Can't over emphasize heat is your friend when mounting tires; a hot tire is an easy to mount tire.
Oh the pressure… maybe I should buy an Amazon stand. lol. Yes to hot tires. When I planned to remove the tire this morning, I placed it in front of my diesel heater for a good hour before prying it off and the 29 year old rubber was quite pliable.

when holding up the axle with 2 jack stands, is the wheel bearing going to actually free move as well as the 2 bearings on a tire balancer like what gary shows?
I'd be worried that the condition of the wheel bearing would come into play there and not allow you to see the heavy spot as well.

Just arrived, a Ken-Tool 22" tire iron in the European / Michelin style.
It's pretty beefy for its length.

tire iron ken tool 22inch.JPG

Looking forward to giving it a go.

when holding up the axle with 2 jack stands, is the wheel bearing going to actually free move as well as the 2 bearings on a tire balancer like what gary shows?
I'd be worried that the condition of the wheel bearing would come into play there and not allow you to see the heavy spot as well.
My tire balancing jig hasn’t arrived so I tried balancing my wheel on the axle, supported on both ends to level the shaft. I am getting erratic heavy and light spots on the tire and I figure it must be the bearings that are causing this. The bike was sitting for over 13 years do I think the bearings might have developed some “tight” spots, throwing off my attempts to balance the wheel.
I was moving the weights so frequently that I came up with this - I used fridge magnets to act as weights. Very easy to move and once the final placement of weight is determined, they may be replaced by the real weights. Obviously good for steel rims only. Ignore the lead weights on the spokes.

IMG_3685.jpeg

Why does the wheel have to be on the axle using the bearings as a pivot? Maybe try a smaller diameter rod which is both straight and has a smooth surface for the bearing inner diameter to settle anywhere without bearing resistance?

Why does the wheel have to be on the axle using the bearings as a pivot? Maybe try a smaller diameter rod which is both straight and has a smooth surface for the bearing inner diameter to settle anywhere without bearing resistance?
I’ll try that. Thx

IMG_6315.jpeg

For levers , I’ve liked these which have a very pronounced spoon shape. And I’ve even smoothed / polished the spoon edges as those contact points can tear a tube immediately upon levering.
Avoid any contact with the tube and if your levering very hard ? Check that the opposite tire bead is actually into the rim center low profile area 👍

I’m puzzled at the loss of air pressure in my newly mounted rear tire. When I first mounted it, iirc I aired it up to 35 psi. I’d check it periodically and noticed the pressure dropping. I thought it might be because the tire still wasn’t seated in the rim or could I have nicked the tube? I continued watching the pressure and thought it had stabilized. I checked last night and the pressure had dropped again. I’d say from the time it was mounted it lost maybe 3-4 psi over 3 days. I had recycled the old tube (maybe a bad idea) but checked it for leaks or damage (valve stem good) prior to installation. Chasing the leak I sprayed it with soapy water and it appeared there were micro bubbles coming from the spoke holes in the rim as wall as around the nut on the valve stem. So I thought for sure the tube had been compromised. I disassembled the wheel and pulled the tube. I couldn't see any damage so I inflated it and put it the laundry tub with soapy water. I still can’t find a leak!

I think I’ll order a new tube anyway, but any thoughts on what may be going on?

I’m disappointed to have to mess with this again but on the upside it’s not stopping me from riding.

Temperature change? When I do tires I change everything, tire tube and strap.
I don't change tires often and find it a pita, so if I'm in there I'm doing it all.
Just not worth the chance. BTW This is the old me talking, the young me would just :laugh:

Just a guess; really work, flex that valve stem around with soapy on it.
Yeah I'm cheap and reuse "looks good" tubes. I'm kinda getting away from that after I removed one and I could tear it to pieces with my bare hands, and I'm not that strong.

Back