Tires

I had a set of new tyres a week or two ago. I can't fit them myself so it presented a problem. Few places that fit tyres stock anything suitable for an old bike. I found one place about an hour away who could fit appropriate tyres. I had a pair of Mitas tyres put on. The equivalent Dunlops that I would have liked were about 2x the price. I don't know anything about Mitas tyres. But I figured that on a bike that will be ridden maybe 5 or 6 times a year and maybe 2 to 300 miles in a year they are going to be just fine.

Correct. H is the speed rating (130mph). 61 and 62 are load ratings. Here's the chart...

https://shinkotireusa.com/support/load-index-speed-rating
A chart I can understand! Thanks much. My gut says cheaper is almost never better, but the load rating says there's less than 20 pounds difference. And I'm

Decisions decisions. Since I can't mount them myself and I need them balanced, anyway, I think my next move is to find out who CAN mount tires correctly for me and what they stock, because when you take parts to a garage they tend to get pissy. The local (Busted Knuckles) bike garage's owner retired last year and I don't really know the new guys yet, but I'm willing to give them a shot, IF there's someone there who knows anything about 650s. Trouble is, they're youngsters. Maybe 40ish. Bike's likely older than the new owner. But I think that may be a better bet than taking her to Winchester. Yamaha shop there's likely to have all the equipment and none of the memories. Busted Knuckles I can likely buy my own.

1714570776242.png

Thanks.

A chart I can understand! Thanks much. My gut says cheaper is almost never better, but the load rating says there's less than 20 pounds difference. And I'm

Decisions decisions. Since I can't mount them myself and I need them balanced, anyway, I think my next move is to find out who CAN mount tires correctly for me and what they stock, because when you take parts to a garage they tend to get pissy. The local (Busted Knuckles) bike garage's owner retired last year and I don't really know the new guys yet, but I'm willing to give them a shot, IF there's someone there who knows anything about 650s. Trouble is, they're youngsters. Maybe 40ish. Bike's likely older than the new owner. But I think that may be a better bet than taking her to Winchester. Yamaha shop there's likely to have all the equipment and none of the memories. Busted Knuckles I can likely buy my own.

View attachment 324707
Thanks.
I used to have maybe a dozen bike workshops within ten minutes of home. Independent and franchised. Now there are none within forty minutes at least. The nearest that stocked suitable tyres and would fit them for me was more than an hour away. I was lucky it was that close. (Recently two Harley/KTM dealers went bust, an hour in either direction from me).

A preliminary Google showed a few bike shops in your area, barring that there's always Hagerstown, Frederick or Winchester.
Call around, some will mount free if you purchase from them, if not most shops charge $20-$30 to mount and balance, maybe more if you bring your own tire bought elsewhere.

Last edited:

View attachment 324707
Thanks.
Have you got a Cycle Gear retailer? They have a good selection and mount/balance for half price if you buy the tires from them.

I'm just gonna throw in my 2 cent's worth on the subject. I'm running Shinko 777s on both of my '81s - 100/90-19 front and 130/90-16 rear - and have been very pleased with them. For balancing, I use Dyna Beads - 1 oz. in the front tire and 2 oz. in the rear - silky smooth ride / no balance weights. Dyna Beads available here: https://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Have you got a Cycle Gear retailer? They have a good selection and mount/balance for half price if you buy the tires from them.
We've got Busted Knuckles here in town and a Yamaha dealer 20+ miles each way north or south up I81. Went with the local guys. Couple guys work there have ridden and worked on 650s long time ago. Yes, will likely cost me more, but I kinda feel the need to support the local shop. Plus, really local. Less than a mile. They're the shop I take Star to. Going to have them work on the very rough start, as well. And replace the clutch cable and do the front fork maintenance. Because I don't wanna.

We've got Busted Knuckles here in town and a Yamaha dealer 20+ miles each way north or south up I81. Went with the local guys. Couple guys work there have ridden and worked on 650s long time ago. Yes, will likely cost me more, but I kinda feel the need to support the local shop. Plus, really local. Less than a mile. They're the shop I take Star to. Going to have them work on the very rough start, as well. And replace the clutch cable and do the front fork maintenance. Because I don't wanna.
Local guys are the ones you see in the hardware store, VFW, at the lake or park etc. A dollar spent in your own community is a dollar well spent. We have local guys and a regional chain, Power Sports which retails Honda, Yamaha,Suzuki and Kawasaki. They mounted my Blue Tracker tires wrong.

I try to do the same. Nobody around here wants my business.

I change my own, always have and always will. And nowadays, I'm glad I do, it's gotten so expensive, lol. We took the rear wheel from my buddy's Victory to a local shop to have the tire changed. It was a huge ass 15", looked like a car tire. I didn't think I could change that one. They charged him $50 !!! My God, my HF tire changer only cost me $39.99, lol. Of course, it needed a few mods to make it work better, and I had to spend another $20 for mount and dismount plastic ends to build a tire bar with, but I change so many tires, this thing has literally paid for itself probably 10 times over by now.

Changer Mounted2.JPG

InsertDismountEnd6.jpg

InstallEndFixed4.jpg

If the clutch pull is really hard after that shop installs your new cable, it's most likely because they didn't oil it. New cables come almost dry and need oiling prior to install. The first new clutch cable I put on my 650 pulled harder than the old one I was replacing because I didn't oil it. There are some things you should do yourself simply because you'll do a better job. With a shop, time is money, so you get the basic, bare minimum done.

I worked construction and it was always rush, rush, rush. Get it done as quickly as possible, no time to really do it right. Well, when working on my own bike, I can take the time and I can do it right, and I try to do that.

I change my own, always have and always will. And nowadays, I'm glad I do, it's gotten so expensive, lol. We took the rear wheel from my buddy's Victory to a local shop to have the tire changed. It was a huge ass 15", looked like a car tire. I didn't think I could change that one. They charged him $50 !!! My God, my HF tire changer only cost me $39.99, lol. Of course, it needed a few mods to make it work better, and I had to spend another $20 for mount and dismount plastic ends to build a tire bar with, but I change so many tires, this thing has literally paid for itself probably 10 times over by now.

Cool! And you're right. Tires, rim liners, tubes, mounting, balancing... not cheap. If you lived close, I'd a been visitin' you and your red beastie there. But we'd bring charcoal and couple /three/four steaks. Bill says "and a 6 pack."

If the clutch pull is really hard after that shop installs your new cable, it's most likely because they didn't oil it. New cables come almost dry and need oiling prior to install. The first new clutch cable I put on my 650 pulled harder than the old one I was replacing because I didn't oil it. There are some things you should do yourself simply because you'll do a better job. With a shop, time is money, so you get the basic, bare minimum done.

I worked construction and it was always rush, rush, rush. Get it done as quickly as possible, no time to really do it right. Well, when working on my own bike, I can take the time and I can do it right, and I try to do that.
I have a thing about the case covers. Superstition if you will. Last time I took one apart I never could get the electrical system to charge right after. I mean it was already FUBARED, I was trying to fix it, but still. Damn wires are soo easy to pinch... I will, however, do my best to remember to take the clutch cable out and pre-lube it. As is, the cable's working, just the sheath is falling apart in clunky clumps.

Likewise, I've been changing my own for years.
View attachment 324889
Shiny!! Nice job. I always wanted to learn to weld. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth girls weren't allowed to take shop class. HAD to take Home-Ec. Which thoroughly pissed me off. Almost managed to poison my Home-Ec teacher. Damn good thing I married a man who cooks. Would still love to learn to weld.

I have a thing about the case covers.
You don’t have to take the cover off to oil the cable, you can just take it off at the perch. Just put a rag of cardboard on the floor under the bike on the cable side, when he lube drips out you’ll see it.

You don’t have to take the cover off to oil the cable, you can just take it off at the perch. Just put a rag of cardboard on the floor under the bike on the cable side, when he lube drips out you’ll see it.
The top end of the clutch cable? I must have done something wrong, then, becasue getting that thing apart to replace the rubber V shaped boot was a migraine waiting to happen.

Back