Torque Wrench

I use a 1/4" and 1/2" "click" torque wrench from Garbage..er a ...Harbor Freight

Last edited:
get one in-lb and one ft-lb. click type. both of my wrenches are 3/8 in drive, go as high as 75 lbs, any bolt requiring more than 75 lbs probably doesn't need to be torqued that accurately. i've been happy with my craftsman wrenches so far

I have a 1/2" S-K beam type my parents bought me 35 years ago to fix my first car. I was going to replace it recently with a good Craftsman clicker but I found a comparison of a bunch where the beam types were just as accurate, so I still use it. S-K tools are expensive now when you see them for sale. They must have a cult following, or remind people of the good old days 35 years ago... I saw a little 3/8" ratchet handle with about half the sockets, priced at $150.

Try using a beam type on your oil pan. They don't work so well when you can't look directly at the scale. I switched from beam to clicker types many, many years ago.

Some of them have the scale on both sides, or some other provision for using it upside down. When I have to use mine upside down I just use a mechanic's mirror.

i'll use a beam type to torque the lugs on my car, anything else i'll use the click type, that damn scale is just too hard to read unless you can view it directly

The beam type are very accurate. Need no calibration, just not as easy to read and use.

I have a beam type wrench. It has a drive on the top and bottom.
You can have the socket point down like most or up. Very handy for the drain plug.

I have a Craftsman in-lb and ft-lb. Very nice tools. The ft-lb I inherited from my Dad along with a nice Craftsman roller chest filled with the good stuff. I'm going to pick up the chest this weekend and bring it home. Dad was a good man, always patient and kind.

Back