Uk or import

I just ran the reg number on the V5 (SFJ132N) through the UK DVLA vehicle check.
Registered 1975 but first registered in the UK 2015
I don't think you can see the engine/frame numbers but it looks like a US market XS650B.
Worth putting back to original ?
Well I would, but then I'm a metal worker, so restoring the frame would cost me very little.

Need to check the vin # Only way to know for sure

The tank decals and colour, (Spanish Burgundy Metallic), was for the European market The US market 75 Decals had the gold going over the top of the tank. Not so on this bike.

If the vin # relates to these #'s then it is a Euro bike and most likely imported from there
447-500101 to 600000.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/784165972924706/

This looks a nice example bar the age related scrapes etc.

Agree what you say Skull, just a lot to take in all the minute model changes and rare or hard to find parts. I'm sure I'll get there though.

That is a US import.

The link i provided for the Vins, (post #37), has the differences between the US and British/Euro bikes from 75-79. Also the engine differences in post #1

Something odd going on with the kick start on the burgundy one, looks to be off a different bike as its clashing with the engine casing. Tempted with a punt on it

I've just come back from looking at the black 75 as it was near by and I thought if tidy and he would come down in price it could be a good choice. It is pretty tidy with a few tank dents, a scraped exhaust and a bit of light rust in places, it has spare brand new fork stantions and a load of other bits from Heiden tuning as well as having new rear shocks and front springs. Very much all original as far as I can tell even with its Oklahoma plate in the spares, very smooth and quiet engine too. However at £3200 it is over my budget and possibly a bit on the high side given some of the scrapes? Maybe? At £2500 I'd be giving it serious consideration, am I being unrealistic?

Well, if it's quite reasonable like you say, I'd give that some consideration. You've probably been looking at the XS650 market in the UK more than me but there's not many good XSs around for £2500? Try offering him £3000?

Well, if it's quite reasonable like you say, I'd give that some consideration. You've probably been looking at the XS650 market in the UK more than me but there's not many good XSs around for £2500? Try offering him £3000?
I don't know of I'm being picky but it doesn't seem worth 3k to me and I think I started out with an unrealistic budget that's started climbing out of my comfort zone🤣 really I need to sell my 20 year old Clio 172 to fund it.

That bike just happens to be the most desirable year out of all the post '73 bikes.
It's got some very desirable features like the original type tank and cap, the instruments, and the exhaust system, and the paintwork is the factory original.
On the downside it is a US import with single front disc. An original UK registered bike with the correct twin disc set up would be worth considerably more.
Also, as you say, it does have damage, dents and scrapes, but then again it is original not rebuilt from parts.
If I owned it, I certainly wouldn't be letting it go for under £3000.

The market for XS650 of all types is strong in Blighty. Even scruffy ones go for more than £2,500 on fleaBay. Good ones start around £3,500 but still need work. I think if you get the sweet runner with the spares for £3k you'd be doing well. It's also local which saves on travel and shipping.

That bike just happens to be the most desirable year out of all the post '73 bikes.
It's got some very desirable features like the original type tank and cap, the instruments, and the exhaust system, and the paintwork is the factory original.
On the downside it is a US import with single front disc. An original UK registered bike with the correct twin disc set up would be worth considerably more.
Also, as you say, it does have damage, dents and scrapes, but then again it is original not rebuilt from parts.
If I owned it, I certainly wouldn't be letting it go for under £3000.

Who'd have thought, you've actually got me thinking of a faithful restoration!

Of course you will find that Sod's Law applies equally to buying/selling motorcycles as it does for anything else in life.
After you've raided your piggy bank so buy what seems to the best deal possible, something will pop up on your doorstep, in better condition, for half the price.
A guy near me sold a customized Heritage Special for just £1600 about four months back.
I think the buyer rode it back home.
The bike was in excellent mechanical condition, even if the cafe racer styling probably wasn't to everyone's taste.

Yes I quite like the single disc look, would it be sacrilege to swap the bars for euro style?
No, it would be obligatory to make the bike more rideable. Only kidding, can do whatever you want to your own bike. This forum is not snotty about restos, customs, choppers, cafes, what have you.

Who'd have thought, you've actually got me thinking of a faithful restoration!
Full resto needs a deep wallet; sounds like thats not you.
Red Clio wont cover the cost of a full resto me thinks; whatever your own contingency.
My rework of the Welsh Flat Tracker was and eye and wallet opener.
I did not heed Raymonds words regarding spiralling resto costs; he was right.....Bugger.
You can (will) get carried away once you start; but it will cost a fortune. I will never recover my investment at current market prices.
You need the engineering skill of @Jim or @Mailman etc with all their equipment to do justice to a full resto; I'm OK but not that good.
Know your own limitations before you begin.

My advise is to buy the best 'bones' you can, and look to build a usable bike you can enjoy.
It will be quicker to get on the road, and you can then improve it as you go.

Good luck.
Ads.

Back