Valve stem on chrome spoke wheels

bigchief

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok.... quick question guys. I have a set of chrome spoked wheels that are stock xs. What kind of valve stem do I need to get to run tubeless tires?

Spoke nipples don't seal against air loss. So have to have tubes. There is tubeless spokes out there on new bmws and suzuki v stroms etc. And custom made to order wheel sets.

You need this kind of valve stem:
2170110_A.jpg

Just be sure it comes with all that rubber stuff behind it, the inner tube...:thumbsup:

If by "chrome spoked wheels" you are referring to wire spokes, you CAN NOT run them tubeless, period.

Cast "mag" wheels will have "Tubeless Tire Applicable" if they are good for tubeless. If that isn't cast on the wheel, then they are also tube type and need an inner tube.

There are ways to DIY seal the spokes to run a tubeless tire but IMHO there is scant advantage in doing so.
Motorcycle tires designated as tubeless can also be used with tubes. Virtually all current MC street tires are marked tubeless. Use a "heavy duty" tube as a tubeless tire tends to be rougher on the inside. A tire with a tube inside tends to run hotter but generally not an issue with XS650 speeds.

AFAIK the ONLY difference on XS650 mags from tube to tubeless type is the the valve stem drilling and recess. None of the XS650 mags (or XS650 spoke rims) used a safety bead. Those came in to use later, late 80's early nineties.

We should probably touch on proper tube valve stem install here. It seems many aren't aware of the procedure what with tubes being somewhat "old school", lol. The bottom nut and washer should remain on the stem and go inside the rim, bearing against the bottom side of it. Only the top nut goes on the outside. The rim gets "pinched" between the two nuts. The top nut needn't be super tight, just tight enough to square up the stem to the rim.

ValveStem.jpg

In fact, the tubes on my old BMWs don't even use a hex nut on the outside, it's more like a knurled thumb wheel .....

BMWValveStem.jpg

CDNTXS650, I thought the same. However the spokes are that heavy, I haven't had to adjust one yet and probably won't do. They've taken some fair.y hefty knock negotiationng the UKs horrendous roads. If you do, the nipples can turn under the bonding. They come like this from the manufacturer, so I was a little sceptical at first but have been very happy over the last 2500 miles

Last edited:
There are ways to DIY seal the spokes to run a tubeless tire but IMHO there is scant advantage in doing so.
Motorcycle tires designated as tubeless can also be used with tubes. Virtually all current MC street tires are marked tubeless. Use a "heavy duty" tube as a tubeless tire tends to be rougher on the inside. A tire with a tube inside tends to run hotter but generally not an issue with XS650 speeds.

AFAIK the ONLY difference on XS650 mags from tube to tubeless type is the the valve stem drilling and recess. None of the XS650 mags (or XS650 spoke rims) used a safety bead. Those came in to use later, late 80's early nineties.

:agree:

Frankly, "sealing" the spokes to run w/o a tube is superfluous. Use whatever tires you want, and learn how to deal with a tube!!!

Back