Van Islander's TX650A - Quest for a Daily Rider

I don't think so? I think all the sump plate bolt holes are blind? That means no oil could leak out of them unless the section of gasket surrounding them was bad. Added washers are just more parts to fool with, lol.

When you replace the brake shoes, service the cam pivot in the brake plate. That drying out is the major cause of drum brake squeal and screeching. Details are here starting with post #3 .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-difficult-is-it-to-replace-the-rear-drum-brakes.25632/
Good point re blind. Will service cam pivot for sure thank you.

I will look for solid copper washers as well. These copper ones are sort of hollow, or rolled copper, and heating them up only succeeded in stinking up the kitchen. (Last time I heat up stuff on the gas range - wife didn't like that too much!)
This time I did use a very light smear of Permatex aviation form-a-gasket on each side of the gasket for the sump filter "housing". (The one which is bolted on with 6 10 mm bolts) I believe Jim had recommended that product in his top end rebuild thread.
I’ll look for these washers and if successful I’ll buy a decent qty and next time you visit you can go home with a pocket full.

Well another mystery solved. You said the washers smelled bad when heated up - who would have known what the filler was!

I’ll get a quote on the non KFC washers. 30 x 38 x 2 mm.

IMG_4166.jpeg
IMG_4168.png

Last edited:
I have both but haven't used the solid copper ones much yet. The crush washers usually give me 3 or 4 uses before they're in need of replacement. On the rear plug, I use the red Bakelite washer that came in the Athena full gasket set. It's been on there for years, lol, and works great again and again. Wish I could find a source for them.

Well I got the samples at long last. These copper sealing washers are 38mm x 30 mm x 1.90mm. They fit the XS drain plug quite well. The copper is quite malleable and should seal well. They can be annealed for reuse too. Bad news is they are pretty pricey. I was quoted $3.62 cdn each and I have to buy 25 pcs at a time. I can twist the suppliers arm to see if I can get costs down. If there’s any interest in these lmk. I’m travelling to the US next month and could possibly mail them to our US brethren. Here’s what they look like on the plug.

The last image is from a McMaster Carr catalogue. Seems very expensive in the US too although the McMaster Carr pieces are quite a bit thicker.

D67F35ED-5A89-45D7-94CA-FD04D5819952.jpeg
31988C9D-1716-41F4-BC0E-F9692E6130AA.jpeg
10FF0BCF-426A-4EB3-AF35-60B71CE2F602.jpeg
BDFF2E70-3C71-42F8-BA01-A90D01249E51.png

I'm using these:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/an900.php AN900-29
I usually use them twice. The OEM are $9.29 ea. These are $3.65 ea and function exactly the same as OE. MikesXS has them at $6.25 ea.
Yes I use those as well but haven’t had good luck reusing them. Next time I pull the plugs I need to look at the sealing surfaces. The ones in the attached pics above are from my stash and had damaged flange faces.

Last edited:
Now that’s better. I’ll order those. Thx.

I just tried ordering them. They want $28 Cdn for 10 pcs. I think I’ll still try to work on my local supplier. That infuriates me. Free shipping in the US and they want something like $6.48 per package of 5 pcs to ship to Canada. Maybe The $6.48 wad ok but to charge double that amount for the two packs.🤬. End of rant..

Last edited:
Now that’s better. I’ll order those. Thx.

I just tried ordering them. They want $28 Cdn for 10 pcs. I think I’ll still try to work on my local supplier. That infuriates me. Free shipping in the US and they want something like $6.48 per package of 5 pcs to ship to Canada. Maybe The $6.48 wad ok but to charge double that amount for the two packs.🤬. End of rant..
mebby this way?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3145399316...ar=613096040336&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Back