Want to eliminate the battery

Reray

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Im building a xs 650 bobber thats only going to be kick start. all my friends helping are sayin i have to have some sort of battery in the bike so i dont fry the charging system. i cant believe that since besides for the ignition ill only have a headlight and tail light. gimmee some advice brothers i need it..

yup there right. it doesent have to be as big as stock tho. If you want to run with out a battery you are going to need some parts from other bikes. Its called the permanent magneto conversion. Theres lots of info on here about it.

If you want to run without a battery you will have to do a PMA conversion. Mine is a custom stator plate, banshee rotor, vf500 stator, vf500 reg/rect, pamco ignition (has to use cam ignition) and a 25v 10,000uf capacitor.

If you have the money though you can always just buy a Sparx system.

nice.. u dont know any back ground or any body who has installd this system b4 that could shed some light on how easy of an installation is?

Not the sparxs system. I can tell you that the PMA conversion isn't too bad. Just depends on what year your bike is and whether it is running points or TCI.

its a 78 and almost positive its points.. got any links for the PMA system?

sweet.. i was readn an older post of similar intrest that u commented on and had some wiring diagrams with it. that the system?

IF it's a post about my pma then yes sir it is! If you looke over at the garage my build thread is in the photographs section and it has a lot more info on it there.

Posted via Mobile

On your stock alternator, trying to run with out the battery won't 'Fry' The charging system. It just won't work.
The stock system needs a battery for the alternator to work.
The bike needs a source of electricity to run.
The stock system uses a battery and feild excited alternator to supply the electricity.
If you convert to a PMA, permanate magnet alternator, The permanet magnet excites the alternator and makes electricity with out needing a battery.

Back