Weight loss?

I have 2 stock 650s and this 81.

It is significantly lighter than my stock bikes. I’d guess by well over 100lbs even with the much bigger gas tank. View attachment 213609
I must sat that I really like the styling of that, it sort of remends me of the British street scramblers of the 1960's like the T120TT and the BSA Hornet.
I bought a pile of Heritage bits recently from a guy who had tried to radically lighten his bike.
He had good medical reasons for this - two hip replacements which left him struggling with the weight of the XS.
Obviously dumping the starter motor etc wasn't an option, but he spent a truckload of cash on lightweight goodies, and also swapped out the 16" rear wheel for a Roadster 18".
Eventually he admitted defeat and realised that it's a relatively big heavy engine mounted in a heavy frame - no easy way to get away from that.
So the XS was sold and replaced by a much lighter single

Trevor, here is that pattern laid out in the full pattern. It is the same as the one you questioned. I prefer this pattern over the spiral one. That’s just me though.

D3E6F334-777E-4236-9FBC-8DF48CC6F5B3.jpeg

Here it is on my early style rotor too. Same pattern.

9C6AEB01-A0BA-44FE-833F-5689798B8747.png

Last edited:
Trevor, here is that pattern laid out in the full pattern. It is the same as the one you questioned. I prefer this pattern over the spiral one. That’s just me though.

View attachment 213675
Here it is on my early style rotor too. Same pattern

View attachment 213675
Here it is on my early style rotor too. Same pattern. View attachment 213678
Yes that looks good. Any chance of a PDF?

It is the same PDF I linked to previously. There are 3 styles attached there. This is the middle one labeled 5 hole. Like I said, due to the size it is only 1/4 of the pattern, so you have to print out 4 of them and do some cutting and taping, It is a little tricky though because of the way the pattern lines up. You have to be a bit creative due to the way the pattern lays out.

Thoughts have crossed my mind of making a pattern of sheet metal, like 5T did. It's just a time management thing for me.

I just swapped for a pre slotted XS1100 special disc, bolts right on. Easier than drilling and I like the radial look.

Back