What have you done to your XS today?

Mission Creep:
Job: Install new swing arm bushings

Figured with the Special exhaust system on it there would be room to pull off the rear wheel and there was, but still had to remove the exhaust to get the shocks unbolted and then I see that wonky side stand......
So maybe the reassembly might include that brand new Mike's exhaust system on the shelf for years and maybe those wheels with the brand new and only three years old Shinkos on 'em and oh ya fix that left hand bar switch that wants to rotate and then change the fork oil and engine oil.
Whew
Gonna be a busy few days. And to think it was running perfect two evenings ago!

Attachments

• 20190412_140939.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Mission Creep:

Figured with the Special exhaust system on it there would be room to pull off the rear wheel and there was, but still had to remove the exhaust to get the shocks unbolted and then I see that wonky side stand......
So maybe the reassembly might include that brand new Mike's exhaust system on the shelf for years and maybe those wheels with the brand new and only three years old Shinkos on 'em and oh ya fix that left hand bar switch that wants to rotate and then change the fork oil and engine oil.
Whew
This is exactly why I am avoiding doing any more serious work..., though my swingarm bushings def need replaced......

Sealed up the only leak I see so far. A used carb drain washer. I only have a few left Lol
20190412_100428.jpg

Mission Creep:

Whew

6F049663-5ECA-47C9-AD9B-963609B2ECE3.jpeg

As it turns out, the pivot bolt was really stuck and I could only get it to move about a half inch. So in the course of adding grease, loosening, tightening the pivot bolt, I could see with the proper torque, there was no slack or wiggle in the swing arm!
Back together! !.

As it turns out, the pivot bolt was really stuck and I could only get it to move about a half inch. So in the course of adding grease, loosening, tightening the pivot bolt, I could see with the proper torque, there was no slack or wiggle in the swing arm!
Back together! !.
I tried tightening my nut on mine just the other day, but still a tiny bit of play.

My tank and sidecovers are original paint, and they’re starting to show their age. They look great, but scratches and chips are all over them all now. I love painting things and I can’t stop thinking about painting the bike a shade of green or black. Either a small to medium metallic forest/british racing green, or a gloss olive green, or gloss black. With the brown seat and black frame I think it would look really good and bring out the vintage appeal even more. Blasphemy? What do you think?

I rode mine yesterday. Put new shoes on her last weekend. I need a stretch of dry weather to test them out on a long ride. She’ll sit today while I clean up the spare head for the Norton. Lap some valves and replace the seals. Then I’ll swap them out and send the original in for a complete rebuild. $$$

Me too, despite its recent connotations, I am actively looking for a proper green shade for a bike. 55 Chev had a nice green in its two tone with white edition - sort of a forest green metallic.
The hitch is I am hoping to find it already in a rattle can.

Looks really nice Lakeview!

Are you going to give the red tank the ‘75 stripes too?

Pete

Me too, despite its recent connotations, I am actively looking for a proper green shade for a bike. 55 Chev had a nice green in its two tone with white edition - sort of a forest green metallic.
The hitch is I am hoping to find it already in a rattle can.
I had a ‘72 CST Blazer that was forest green and had a hint of metallic in it. Loved the color. Miss that old truck.

7C06FBC7-3043-4240-863F-11021F1B3922.png
View attachment 138914 My favourite colour for a bike is green. Hence the bike I have had since 69. But I would love a green XS1.
That sunbeam is close to the “olive” green I am imagining, and this is the metallic forest green I’m thinking of. Man, with my brown tuck and roll seat and black bars? That would look so good.

Last edited:
Back