What have you done to your XS today?

So standard 17 34 is 2.00 final and 1.89 for 18 front, 1.83 for 18 33 and 1.78 for 18 32 so who's done that guys and did it still pull away in second?
I have one of each in my garage. Two Specials. One with 17/33, the other with 17/34. 17/33 works fine, but I prefer the 17/34. It feels to me more like a motorcycle should. Unless the bike is intended for freeway use. If that's the case, then the 17/33 is better. If you're a hooligan, you must pick 17/34.

I have one of each in my garage. Two Specials. One with 17/33, the other with 17/34. 17/33 works fine, but I prefer the 17/34. It feels to me more like a motorcycle should. Unless the bike is intended for freeway use. If that's the case, then the 17/33 is better. If you're a hooligan, you must pick 17/34.
I should add that the difference between 17/34 and 17/33 is over 5 mph. With the 17/34 sprockets my comfortable cruising speed is 60 mph. With the 17/33 it's 65+ mph. The acceleration difference is enough the 17/34 equipped bike is the one I want to ride. Comparatively, the 17/33 feels like a slug. It was fine until I had them side by side. Now, it isn't. I don't like to ride on the freeway.
YMMV

20230615_175852.jpg
got the tires mounted on the wheels and now have a rolling chasis!

When it comes to gearing, you have to keep in mind that we're only dealing with about a 50HP bike here. You can't gear it up much or you lose your take-off power in the lower gears, you won't be able to pull redline in 5th, and you basically kill the bike's "fun factor". I don't think changing the front sprocket is a good idea, not enough clearance up there, particularly if you want to run a physically larger o-ring chain. Stick with the stock 17T up front. Change the rear, but only slightly. I think a 33T on an 18" wheel is ideal. It's what Yamaha put on the bikes they sold in Europe, and it fits the engine's power output nicely. On a 16" rear wheel, you can use a 32T. It gives nearly the same ratio as a 33T on an 18" wheel does. I don't recommend going any lower than that. I tried the 32T on an 18" wheel and the take-off power loss was really noticeable.

My bike came to me with a 17/40 set up, with 18'' rear wheel. A real hoot to raise the front wheel..... But a vibrating pain in the butt for highway use.
My dentist loved it!

Had a new 18'' rear wheel built up around a Cognito Moto disc conversion hub to rum 17/33. What a difference; still have good take off acceleration, and highway riding is now a pleasure.

OLD 17/40T SET UP
OLD 40T.PNG

NEW 17/33T SET UP
NEW 33T.JPEG

Yep thats the european/UK SE spec rear tyre at 4 inches with a clearance of about 3 or 4 mm if you are lucky.more at speed when the tyre sidewall stands up. It was lowering the pressure that let the sidewall ease out enough to rub, at least that's what I think. looking at 30+ to maintain clearance, no wonder it was bouncy.tyre size.jpg
How easy do you think it turns if you haven't got the wheel alignment right.
If you wanna be a cruzer u gotta be relaxed about stuff, I am told.

Thank you both, I think it is probably safer to lose a tooth or two on the back. Thats a pretty bike.
Finally undid a bit of engine, valve clearances were .04mm and .09mm inlet and .12mm .23mm. exhaust. Seems a bit quieter now so am going to check vacuum balance when its warm.
Can anyone lend me a shoehorn in case I need to remove the wheel.
Just checked Avon Tyres website 130-90 appears to be 5" not 4". Might replace with a 4" sooner rather than later and see what the change in the airspring feels like.

Last edited:
Thank you both, I think it is probably safer to lose a tooth or two on the back. Thats a pretty bike.
Finally undid a bit of engine, valve clearances were .04mm and .09mm inlet and .12mm .23mm. exhaust. Seems a bit quieter now so am going to check vacuum balance when its warm.
Can anyone lend me a shoehorn in case I need to remove the wheel.
Just checked Avon Tyres website 130-90 appears to be 5" not 4". Might replace with a 4" sooner rather than later and see what the change in the airspring feels like.
5.00 X 16 might be the tire you need. I think it will come in just a tad narrower than the 130, depending upon the brand. I forgot your wheel diameter.

Test run this evening . I WISH I had a helmet cam on to capture the Black Bear running across the road in front of me !
( remote west Quebec lifestyles …)

Anyway
Only two issues , binding of the throttle cable at full right lock causing an RPM increase

And , blew the muffler baffle out somewhere. Sudden big noise was a bit of a worry…but new one already ordered!

A bit of top end rustling , so I’ll check my valves and cam chain

Pulls well !

Seems I have built a Time Machine as well as a motorcycle!

Attachments

• 842C2E91-7D65-4038-B371-C85FDB1AD9C8.jpeg
    842C2E91-7D65-4038-B371-C85FDB1AD9C8.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 50
Hi Jimbo
I have a the TM34's on my build, purchased as conversion kit specific to the XS650 from Mikunioz here in Australia, getting close to first start up. Keen to hear how you go with yours, fitting the throttle cables has proven to be a challenge due to the dual taps being so close, I think I have it sorted, 🤞
I bought a pair of filters from Ramair in the UK, they have a good range and good prices, these fit well between carb and bat box, I had to mod the side covers a bit, I'm not keen on the pod type filters.
I have a stock '83 XS650 and have purchased a set of Mikuni TM34 carbs (no pump). Can anyone help me with the initial jetting?
Found an old 2017 post that called for PJ:25 MJ:190 NJ:p6 Needle:6FP (middle clip), but no follow ups. Any new info out there?

Hey Lucky Phil can you tell me the jets you have in the carbs from Mikunioz? Did you have to change any? How does it run?

@Miss Alaynious I'm at sea level in nj
Mikuni vm34
Slide 2.5 pj 22.5 to 25 nj series 159
P5 or p6
Needle 6f9
MJ 180 to 190
Main air jet removed

Slide adjust 5 turns out
Air adjust 3/4 turns out

_----_---------------------------------

Other than that today I swapped my 38 tooth rear which was giving me almost 5000rpm at 60mph
For a 36 tooth rear and now I'm flying at 60mph at just under 4000rpm

Huge improvement. I think the PO must have used parts laying about from a dual sport or something cuz it really doesn't need that big a rear on the street

No kidding dude, lol. Pay attension to some of the gearing posts lately or, Heaven forbid, actually do a little research and read up on recommended gearing, and you would KNOW 38 or 36T sprockets are way too big. AND, the poor girl is asking for TM carb jetting specs, not VM. Totally different carbs and animals. I try to mind my "forum" manners and not lash out like this but sometimes it's called for. Please accept my apologies.

@Miss Alaynious I'm at sea level in nj
Mikuni vm34
Slide 2.5 pj 22.5 to 25 nj series 159
P5 or p6
Needle 6f9
MJ 180 to 190
Main air jet removed

Slide adjust 5 turns out
Air adjust 3/4 turns out

_----_---------------------------------

Other than that today I swapped my 38 tooth rear which was giving me almost 5000rpm at 60mph
For a 36 tooth rear and now I'm flying at 60mph at just under 4000rpm

Huge improvement. I think the PO must have used parts laying about from a dual sport or something cuz it really doesn't need that big a rear on the street
I was running a 17/40T combo on an 18'' wheel. Wheelie heaven but big vibes at road cruising speed.
Changed to a 17/33T on the same size wheel; now it has plenty of acceleration from pick up and cruses like it should.

I have a stock '83 XS650 and have purchased a set of Mikuni TM34 carbs (no pump). Can anyone help me with the initial jetting?
Found an old 2017 post that called for PJ:25 MJ:190 NJ:p6 Needle:6FP (middle clip), but no follow ups. Any new info out there?

Hey Lucky Phil can you tell me the jets you have in the carbs from Mikunioz? Did you have to change any? How does it run?
Hi Miss A
I'll have a look at the receipts I have and the spear brass and let you know, I believe mine are TM36, I've had the bike running, idles great since I baffled the exhaust but is breaking up on revs over3 grand, think I may have to raise the needle to richen the mix, still seating new rings, pistons and bore and only have 12km on the dial so far, have allergies to cold riding these days so test rides are few and far between until days of 19c+ prevail.

Hi Miss A
I'll have a look at the receipts I have and the spear brass and let you know, I believe mine are TM36, I've had the bike running, idles great since I baffled the exhaust but is breaking up on revs over3 grand, think I may have to raise the needle to richen the mix, still seating new rings, pistons and bore and only have 12km on the dial so far, have allergies to cold riding these days so test rides are few and far between until days of 19c+ prevail.

Back