What have you done to your XS today?

Well crap. Shed's overflowing... basement's overflowing. Garage is ...um, full shall we say.
Where the hell am I gonna put all this... um... stuff? :umm:

View attachment 247548

View attachment 247549
Oh, I hear you! Years ago I ran a business out of a 2000 sq.ft. rented space. When I closed shop, I needed a place to store stuff. Bought a 40 ft shipping container which does a great job of stuff but its certainly at capacity!

I have to say I’ve resisted the urge to add and actually been getting rid of “stuff” as soon as I get everything squared away I’m sure I’ll find a deal I just have to have.

The XS got a clutch adjustment which I'm afraid maybe futile. I think the clutch plates are worn beyond limits and need replacement. Disassembly and inspection to follow.
The XT had its header and mid-pipe Cerakoted with Series C (air-dry) Cerakote in a matte tungsten finish. The finish looks like freshly sand-blasted cast iron, kinda cool. Pictures and evaluation to follow. Anyone else used C-Series Cerakote? If so, what application and how did it pan out for you?

The XS got a clutch adjustment which I'm afraid maybe futile. I think the clutch plates are worn beyond limits and need replacement. Disassembly and inspection to follow.
The XT had its header and mid-pipe Cerakoted with Series C (air-dry) Cerakote in a matte tungsten finish. The finish looks like freshly sand-blasted cast iron, kinda cool. Pictures and evaluation to follow. Anyone else used C-Series Cerakote? If so, what application and how did it pan out for you?
Pics of the Cerakoted XT header and mid-pipe. The header is a modified XT600 header that has larger diameter primaries and tailpipe, compared to the XT350 original. Will report on durability as time goes on.
001 (2).jpg002 (2).jpg

https://www.xs650.com/threads/vintage-style-bobber-build.61877/post-760872

Adjusted valves. Was getting a little bit of a tick at idle. Adjusted up the valves which were only about .001” off spec and now the motor is as smooth as butter and tick free. Also washed out air filters. Hadn’t been done since this time last year. Quite a bit of junk washed out (dirt at bottom of container - gas used wad mixed with 2 stroke oil (green/blue)).

IMG_1945.jpeg

Went for a spin on the bike and parked for a moment to tweak the carb adjustments. Noticed lots of oil dripping from the cam chain tensioner. Got home, disassembled the tensioner and replaced the oring on the acorn nut cap (Oring was flat and very hard). Then I noticed the large 27mm lock nut had some damage to the sealing face. The damage occurred because I was lazy the other day and snugged it up with an open end wrench, when I should have put a socket on it. Anyway, a couple of minutes with a fine small file and all is good again.

Anyone know how much voltage the pamco green wire is supposed to read when it's not plugged to a coil? I'm trying to figure out if I have a faulty coil and pamco or just the coil that's blown. And what's it supposed to read when it's plugged to the coil?

My coil reads 1ohm across the primaries which is much lower than the requires 2.5ohm, would this damage the pamco unit?

Confusingly enough, another measurement today got me 2.3ohm on the coil primaries, and then the expected 12v down to 1v on the green wire and I had spark. Very weird. Must be a bad coil. Definitely wasn't looking forward to replacing the ignition unit.

20230803_151811.jpg
Shade Tree Spray Booth
Rattlecan heaven. I got busy this week with preping a tank I bought at the Paris Rally 2 years ago, also used solder to fill in the mount holes on the side covers and wet sanded up to 600 grit.
No runs that I have seen so far, but a bit of wrinkling on the tank where I feather edged which is surprising as the Tremclad/Rustoleum doesn't usually react to stuff underneath it.
I'll let it dry in the van for a couple days and see what it needs, other than a nice set of gold Yamaha emblems that I have on the shelf.

20230805_111521.jpg
First Time for a Leaky Float
Rolled it out of the garage, turned on the gas taps, got my helmet on and came back to the left carb puking gas all over the concrete.
Tried and true tapping of the bowl did nothing, flowing some out of the drain equally ineffective, so loath to do it(air boxes) but had to take 'em off. Sure enough, shaking the float gave the tell tale gurgle of fuel where it should not be.
Checked 2 of my stash, both left trails of tiny bubbles in the water glass, marked them with an L and the third tested good. Gonna reinstall after lunch, want to retain the air boxes but know it's going to be a tussle.

View attachment 248504
First Time for a Leaky Float
Rolled it out of the garage, turned on the gas taps, got my helmet on and came back to the left carb puking gas all over the concrete.
Tried and true tapping of the bowl did nothing, flowing some out of the drain equally ineffective, so loath to do it(air boxes) but had to take 'em off. Sure enough, shaking the float gave the tell tale gurgle of fuel where it should not be.
Checked 2 of my stash, both left trails of tiny bubbles in the water glass, marked them with an L and the third tested good. Gonna reinstall after lunch, want to retain the air boxes but know it's going to be a tussle.
I found one of mine doing that on my XS-1B when I was pulling away from a stoplight and the rear tire started slipping sideways on me when I took off into the turn (good thing I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life!). Tire got pretty soaked from wet pavement my left carb was creating while I waited for the light to change. 😳

I adjusted my valve clearances & cam chain tension today. Soooo much quieter now! The valve were perfect at 10 & 15 thou, but it took a good bit of adjustment to get the cam chain right.
It's so long since I heard an XS I couldn't figure out if it was just noisy. My TW is a rattly rascal & I half assumed that was going to be the case with a 30 year older engine. Nope, cam chain rustle. She's as quiet as a mouse now.

I adjusted my valve clearances & cam chain tension today. Soooo much quieter now! The valve were perfect at 10 & 15 thou, but it took a good bit of adjustment to get the cam chain right.
It's so long since I heard an XS I couldn't figure out if it was just noisy. My TW is a rattly rascal & I half assumed that was going to be the case with a 30 year older engine. Nope, cam chain rustle. She's as quiet as a mouse now.
I hope the 10 and 15 "thou" are in mm. As in 0.10mm and 0.15mm. Not .010" and .015".

Last edited:
Back