what motor mounts are necessary?

tuba6869

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all when i cut my frame up for the hardtail i only want to use the motor mounts that are necessary... i know that many people say that the 5 or so points arent all necessary and would like to minimalize them. thanks

see i was thinking about using them and the top and just cutting out the bottom rear as i feel its not all the "necessary"

Here's an opportunity to pioneer a new isolastic frame mount system, similar to the Norton Featherbed frame. Using just the front and rears. Googling "dynafocal engine mount" is revealing.

Oops, sorry, gettin' carried away here...

I use the bottom three and get rid of the top. Never had a problem and it looks much better.

Attachments

• two bikes.jpg
    two bikes.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 195
  • xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    xs650-chop-noid-white_bike-587x440.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 186
  • xs650orange.jpg
    xs650orange.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 211
  • xs650 w springer.jpg
    xs650 w springer.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 237
Unless you have some other XS650 motor than all of us there are four mounts
ONE on the top end
ONE on the front of the cases
One on the back of the cases
One on the bottom of the cases
?????????????
To me if you take the jugs and head off you are left with the bottom end and all three mounts are there.
You want to explain what you mean because I don't get your comment?

Rich, what I was referring to with tuba6869 was the eliminated lower/rear mount on Padgett's build.

Attachments

• XS1B-LowFrameMount03.jpg
    XS1B-LowFrameMount03.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 178
  • BotRearMount.jpg
    BotRearMount.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 178
Well i guess it really depends on your riding style, if you ride hard and corner hard then keep them all, but as you are doing a hard tail which does not lend itself to hard riding lose the one above the head. As a stock bike it's best to keep them all to help keep the frame in check when riding hard.

I didn't know any better when I chopped mine and used them all. The upper I did remake to allow for my new tank to drop down lower on the frame.

I have done front, bottom and upper, as well as front, bottom, and rear. Never had a problem. But I don't ride like the proverbial mad man, either.

To late, LooneyNip. See post #16

But don't look too hard. It may be an image that you can not get back out of your head.

I'm just wondering what kind of engines DadaG has been playing with.[/QUOTE

You know DARN WELL that the original post was about motor MOUNTS and NOT mounting POINTS. DaddyG was referring to the actual mount and bracket, of which there is four... So, THERE! NANNY-nanny boo-boo! Now, get out into your shop and hardtail one of your bikes BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE and your neighbors discover that you are just another 'standard' bike rider...
Do you REALLY want to suffer the guffaws and looks of pity tossed your way each time you leave your home for any reason? I can hear them now, "Oh look, there goes S2R, snigger-snigger, snort..." "Don't look at him kids, he's the modern day Boo Radley EXCEPT he's NOT secretly cool. Oh wait, WHO'S THAT Adonis-like figure passing on that hardtail??? My GOD, it's like pure panther sex! Honey, QUICK! Get upstairs! I think I just caught some passing pheromones from that hardtail rider and I'm raging!"
It.....just....makes....sense.

Really Nip-man? (I use the term "man" loosely here). You're showing signs of desperation. (that being that your tampon is dripping) Anyone with at least a grade school education would realize that for every point on the engine to mount it, there will be a corresponding place on the frame. 5 of one will result in 5 of the other.

But if you REALLY believe in what you are saying, take the pic (found here) and SHOW me what 4 you are referring to. I DARE YOU!

Here are the 4 DadaG was referring to.....

Oh......And by the way, it's "there ARE four", NOT "there IS four". With grammar like that, maybe you didn't get past grade school. :thumbsup:

BECAUSE, my Southern-Fried Fruitloop, the BOTTOM center mounting point DOESN'T have a BRACKET, it's simply a hole thru the frame that is bossed (attached) and a bolt runs through! DaddyG was referring to the actual motor MOUNTS that are more akin to a BRACKET... Good LORD, I must have REALLY hit home with my description of your neighbor's conjecture! You REALLY crawled through the much-n-mire to get here, didn't you?!? You're so easy... THAT being said, I refuse to view your pic because I'm fearful that it will be a selfie of you in your Wonderwoman outfit! GOW!

OK, Ok S2R, we gotta stop on this one. I think I smell a moderator's dander being elevated. Once again, touche', see you soon and good jousting with you (loser!).
Ha-HAAAAA!

Nah, daddy g doesn't have to say anything for himself. He may see it differently, I see 5 but everyone has there way of interpreting what's what. You've had more than enough fun here. Daddyg is a good contributor, bike builder and cancer survivor. Leave well enough alone.

I was away yesterday so could not get back . So I missed one but are they all attached to bottom end YES. My point was all but one are attached to bottom end. Only one is on top end. If you still take the jugs off and head you are left with the bottom end.
Solo you said that they were not attached to the bottom end and that was my response. Plus you put up a picture that shows they attach to bottom end so I think you corrected your comment.
So now I responded as you asked now what do you have to say?

Back