what years and models go to which wheels?

shotgunjoe

XS650 Hunter
Reaction score
So most xs650's had the mag wheels, seems regardless of model. Also I know 18s only came on standard models, and heritage models had the 64/48 combo. I believe 74-76 standards had the shouldered H type wheels, right?

Heres where things get a bit muddy for me... I know the mags are aluminum, and the H type wheels are aluminum... but what years were steel vs aluminum, and what sizes were they? The wheels on my current build are 36 spoke 16/19 combo,and the rims are aluminum...i know they are original to an xs650 but not entirely sure what year they are off of, but I believe they were 81.

70-73: 36 spoke steel rims 19/18

74-79 Standard; 36 spoke alloy shouldered rims, (mud catchers), 19/18

78-80 Specials; alloy mag wheels disk brakes F/R, 19/16

79 Special ll; 36 spoke Alloy rims, non shouldered, 19/16. One year only

80-81 Special ll; 36 spoke steel rim 19/16

81 Special; alloy mag wheels, drum brake rear, 19/16. One year only

82-83 Heritage Specials; 64/48 spoke steel rim 19/16

Canada and other countries had different combination wheels from 79 and later

So is it possible to swap out my rear drum mag on my 81 for a rotor mag off an earlier year without much fuss?

Not really. You would need to weld on mounts for the M/C as well as the brake strut where it hooks to swing arm, adapt the brake pedal height adsjuster, as well as everything that has to do with brakes from the brake pivot shaft back. The only thing the same is the pedal.
Not terribly hard but takes a lot of time. I did a simular swap on my 75. Was it worth the effort. Maybe. The brake is better but the time and aggravation make it a break even.
Would I do it again? No. If I want a disc brake on the rear I'll buy a bike with one on it.
Leo

With a hardtail yes you will have to weld on the parts you need for the brakes. No matter if disc or drum.
Leo

I don't want to repeat the question but i'm not clear on this yet i have a 76 with tc bros h/t i want to run mags instead of my spoke 19/18 and change from drum to disc will my axle work on this app. or will it be to short going from drum to disc.

Yes, the axles from '74 on are all the same. What you'll need to re-work or swap is the splined pivot shaft for the brake pedal. The bracket on the back that hooks to the brake rod or activates the MC is totally different between the two set-ups. Easiest solution is to just get a disc brake one.

can anyone tell me about this mythical creature?

Attachments

• star.jpg
    star.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 175
Back