Whats your weather right now?

The God Almighty has put a sock in the Mouth at the Global Warming Crowd . . .
Let's hope that they have not listened to the Global Warning BS . . .
We get that every year! I'll be walking through the village on the first frosty morning of the season and I'll meet somebody who says 'So much for global warming, eh?'

Gets me exasperated. Personally, I prefer the term 'climate change' to 'global warming'. Of course, the climate is changing* - not only does every scientist with any knowledge on the subject agree on that fact, but it should be apparent to you and me that the weather has changed over our lifetime.

The effects differ in different places. In Britain, we have mostly milder winters, wetter summers, and far more extreme, uhm, weather events. Floods especially - we're becoming used to seeing helicopter footage - huge swathes of English countryside under water.

In Britain, we're having more severe gales and they're more frequent. Longer droughts and they're more frequent. Summer high temp records are being broken again and again.

Average temps across the planet are going up - 2023 was another record high. Record ice melt in Antarctica, devastating wild fires in Europe, N America, Hawaii, more frequent hurricanes, worst ever droughts across Africa, glaciers shrinking, melting of the permafrost in Canada, Alaska, Russia, etcetera.

It feels like there is more energy in the weather system. The effects vary. Warming of the Polar region displaces circum-polar winds further South, so prevailing Westerlies which for millennia have kept the UK weather mild at this time of year are now liable to be pushed too far south and as a result, we get easterly winds from Arctic Russia which used to miss us. So our milder winters are then interrupted by severe cold spells, as right now. Everybody remembers the infamous 'beast from the East' of 2018 but that pattern has been repeated a few times more recently.

Right now, it's bloody cold. And it's due to global warming - which I prefer to call climate change - but some people just can't or won't understand that.

Rant over . . .

* Not going down the natural vs anthropogenic rabbit hole right now.

Last edited:
I planned to hang out in the garage today. I checked the temp and it was a cold 5C in there (I keep it above freezing with electric heat). I turned up the electric heat and fired up my diesel heater and in 20 minutes it’s already 11C (air temp), but the cold concrete floor will make it feel colder. Once it’s 15C I’ll head out there and find something to mess with to get me off the couch for the day. Outside is still -14C 🥶

Ok, i thought that looked like a lot! Slick looking saw 😍. I got rid of most of my saws but one since our home doesn’t have any trees that need maintenance. I had a small one at the cottage but the crooks made off with that this past fall.. I kept a Stihl 026 that’s maybe been used maybe 6X and will keep that around - just in case.
I try to keep it down to two saws but ggggGary LOL
The 462 replaced the ole reliable 440, guys coming for the 440, They're in demand, a Mack truck workhorse.
My "small" saw an ancient 028WB that I updated to have a chain brake.
And a 130 Pole saw for trimming. LOL

We get that every year! I'll be walking through the village on the first frosty morning of the season and I'll meet somebody who says 'So much for global warming, eh?'

Gets me exasperated. Personally, I prefer the term 'climate change' to 'global warming'. Of course, the climate is changing* - not only does every scientist with any knowledge on the subject agree on that fact, but it should be apparent to you and me that the weather has changed over our lifetime.

The effects differ in different places. In Britain, we have mostly milder winters, wetter summers, and far more extreme, uhm, weather events. Floods especially - we're becoming used to seeing helicopter footage - huge swathes of English countryside under water.

In Britain, were having more severe gales and they're more frequent. Longer droughts and they're more frequent. Summer high temp records are being broken again and again.

Average temps across the planet are going up - 2023 was another record high. Record ice melt in Antarctica, devastating wild fires in Europe, N America, Hawaii, more frequent hurricanes, worst ever droughts across Africa, glaciers shrinking, melting of the permafrost in Canada, Alaska, Russia, etcetera.

It feels like there is more energy in the weather system. The effects vary. Warming of the Polar region displaces circum-polar winds further South, so prevailing Westerlies which for millennia have kept the UK weather mild at this time of year are now liable to be pushed too far south and as a result, we get easterly winds from Arctic Russia which used to miss us. So our milder winters are then interrupted by severe cold spells, as right now. Everybody remembers the infamous 'beast from the East' of 2018 but that pattern has been repeated a few times more recently.

Right now, it's bloody cold. And it's due to global warming - which I prefer to call climate change - but some people just can't or won't understand that.

Rant over . . .

* Not going down the natural vs anthropogenic rabbit hole right now.
Having read in the matters discussed I found no fault in the opinions expressed in dialogue at

Earth is an element in a complex system that is essentially a giant physics experiment...and the weather is mostly driven by that system...not by man save in some small ways. An element in a vacuum tube with lots of energy flows? Ok... I agree. Mostly because it can't be anything else and it's obvious.

Meantime? Interminable cold and wet - pattern halfazzed stable, until it is not.

I kept a Stihl 026
I have one of those. Picked it up before Stihl switched to the Farm boss as their go-to work horse. The saw is a beast with an 18” bar on it. Last year my Dad gave me his Dolmer(Makita) with. 16” bar and I haven’t had a chance to try it yet but it’s supposed to ba a hoss also.

Having read in the matters discussed I found no fault in the opinions expressed in dialogue at

Earth is an element in a complex system that is essentially a giant physics experiment...and the weather is mostly driven by that system...not by man save in some small ways. An element in a vacuum tube with lots of energy flows? Ok... I agree. Mostly because it can't be anything else and it's obvious.

Meantime? Interminable cold and wet - pattern halfazzed stable, until it is not.
That is why I avoided going down the natural vs anthropogenic rabbit hole. A debate which leads to lies, misinformation, selected facts presented as truth, irrelevancies dragged in, illogical arguments. It's almost as if huge vested interests who make billions of dollars from selling 'fossil' fuels were deliberately trying to pull the wool over our eyes?

Ah.... Dr Willie Soon and word salad from Tuckums.... delicious... :wink2:

Dr Soon is a climate change crackpot. The very first paper he wrote on climate change was quickly debunked as bullshit by about 20 actual climate scientists iirc. And he's gone downhill from there.... considering most, if not all his funding comes from the oil and gas industry, is anyone surprised....
He's a astrophysicist for petes sake... yeah, an actual rocket scientist. He went to school to learn objectivity. Amazing how millions in oil money can just trash all that learning.

@gggGary , excellent explanation in that video. Astrum is on my playlist. I watched that video when he released it. An explanation even an idiot can understand.

Here's some kids proving that Co2 does actually do what scientist's claim.... retain more heat. It ain't rocket science.

When I was teaching, this subject came up pretty regularly. I used to tell my students that just because you don't understand the science, doesn't mean it's not real science. It is. We were forbidden from exploring it in any more detail. :doh:

Last edited:
Amazing how millions in oil money can just trash all that learning.
Follow the money in ANY science before you believe it.

Meanwhile, this, I believe, is a fact.
1705516247264.png

My sticking my head out the door says it's true.

SO MANY ash trees killed by Emerald Ash Borer that need to come down
I've went through the same thing here at my place for the last few years. About half of the trees on my property were Ash and every time we get a wind storm I've got work to do. I have been able to heat my house with the wood though for the last few years but man what a loss..

Good news Marty. Freezezilla2 ending today for me . So should there tomorrow. Then I'm sending cold rain.
One skill I never mastered was snow shovel operation.

Lowest was a balmy 11 degrees .

Good news Marty. Freezezilla2 ending today for me . So should there tomorrow. Then I'm sending cold rain.
One skill I never mastered was snow shovel operation.

Lowest was a balmy 11 degrees .
72728207928__202BE53E-934C-4A1F-BB05-2E2FD42340BB.jpeg

Freezing rain just started. It’s supposed to warm up and rain this afternoon, then back into deep freeze. Sunday afternoon 37F in the forecast.

This morning, I woke up to 8*F. Even here, that's cold. Those of you who live where it gets colder, I pity you. I hate the cold. I hate winter. I don't know why I live here, except the summers are nice. Okay. There. I'm done whining.
Reading your post, I had to see where you're at. Funny, I have a cabin for snowmobiling near Whitney Point.

Back