Wheel Question

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can I mount a 36 spoke rear rim to a 36 spoke front hub? Would like to have both front and back the same size and like the idea of a little bit fatter front wheel/tire. Does anyone see a problem with this?

You might have to redrill the spoke holes to adjust for the differing angles, Buchannans has spokes.
Leo

Did you have any luck with this? I am wanting to do the same thing. I am going to buy a 16" rim from Buchannans and lace it to my front hub (that was originally a 19".
Also wondering what kind of fork clearance there is on the 35mm forks? How big of a 16" tire can be used in the front?

Last edited:
A 120 will fit, a 130 may rub. Depends on if you run a fender and the brand of tire. Some 130's are wider than others. Mesure the space on your forks to be sure.
Leo

joe wiseguy did exactly this a couple of years ago. He used a stock 16'" rear hoop and a stock front hub with custom spokes. I remember he used a shinko 240 which is a mh90-16 tire, which is equivalent to a 130mm. you have to disassemble the brakes when removing or installing the wheel though, but its just a few bolts anyways.

XS360 front spokes work great to lace an 18" rim on your front hub in place of the stock 19" rim, just use a drill to adjust the angle of the spoke holes in the rim slightly. You can get standard XS650 spokes for the rear, same hub used on both 16" and 18" wheel sets.

Back