which would you choose?

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The old lady is looking to get another bike this year. she sold her 2007 roadstar 1700 last fall and is looking more towards the vintage (cheap) bikes as a replacement and me being the good boyfriend that i am agreed to do the work in exchange for unlimited use.

she had a line on a running '81 xs650 with perfect compression for 500 bux but she sat on the fence too long and it sold. women... :banghead:

so here's what we've been looking at:

1982 xj750 maxim $900
or
1977 Triple xs750 D or 2D (not sure) $900

i really like the xs750 because it has points and has a kickstarter, whereas the maxim is all electronic - and them electronic components are getting old.

anyone have any experience with either bike or know anything bad about either model?

there doesn't seem to be the following for these bikes like the xs650 has so any input is really appreciated, including rumors.

I'd wait for another XS 650 to come along....They do turn up every so often.

I never liked the looks the of Maxim 750. I would wait for another XS650 as well, but I think all your answers here will be bias.

Don't know much about the either but I have read that the triples had a fairly short run, b/c they had a pile of engine problems compared to the twins and fours.

What usually makes up my mind is parts availability. I agree with waiting for an xs.

Unlimited access to what???????
Depending on her height strength and budget the 750 shadows are great bikes. My wife loves hers but says she would ride an XS if I build a nice red one for her.... Resale and maintenance are a as big of factors as initial cost. Specially on the squeezes bike, if you are the wrench. Running to get her bike "fixed" gets old real fast for both of you. It's getting late in the year for deals. And XS650's that aren't fixer uppers for less than a grand are getting rare. (pretty true for any bike.)

In terms of being economical, you won't beat the XS. It's only got two cylinders, carbs etc; compared to a 3-4 banger it'll be much cheaper to repair in the long run (throw in valves, springs, seals and it'll DEF add up). I had a GPZ 550 a while back, carburetor rebuild kits for all carbs cost me a hundred bucks, not exactly cheap for a college student...

Not to mention...twins are just so damn hot.

However, the XS650 are a little more tiring to ride on the highway. So it depends on what your g/f looks for in a bike.

oh i completely agree the xs650 is the way to go, i practically begged her to buy that 650 when she had the chance - but a lot of it had to do with her not liking the looks of them :wtf:

not to mention the fact that i've completely rebuilt my 650 and know how to work on the machines and where to get parts.

but those two bikes were the ones that sparked her interest so i figured i'd ask around to find out anything about them. I know alot about older honda inline 4's and i also know that more cylinders = more money, my first bike was a cb750 (money pit).

Thanks for the input everybody, i suppose i just needed to hear what i already knew "look for a xs650". Maybe i started this thread to vent...

so it seems the 650 gods are smiling on my girlfriend. the xs650 she lost out on came back into the picture. turns out the guy who originally bought it fell on some hard times and decided he didn't need a money pit and cancelled the sale. so the old lady bought it up. now i got a 1982 xs650 special i get to play with

is this how it starts? am i gonna wake up one day have a garage full of 650s?

Seeeeee...I told you they show up every so often........LOL!

hell ya, thats cool,this is how it starts. the 1st year i ended up with 4 xs s and lots of parts,buy and sold a few none xs s been thining the invintory just have the one and one waiting to be put together,
and as for the xj, we just picked up an 82 xj650j for $500 put another 500 in it and it wil need more by the years end, carb boots are 60 each.
i really like working on the 2 cylinders than the 4. at least the xj is inline 4 not a dang v4, had 2 already big money pits.
keep the xs going and buy up everything you find, igot 2 friends her one has 6xs650 other has 12 to 15

Thats where my girlfriends scion is out in the driveway! :D My xs is on the bike table in one side and my 454ss pickup is in the other side!! She doesnt like it so much. :thumbsup:

Back