Wiring my bike (I'll need help)

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm becoming impatient seeing my bike 99.999999% finished in my garage and now that I have all the means to finish and wire it, I want to do just that. I had originally planned on waiting until a buddy of mine was available and hauling it all down to his shop (in my vw :() and having him help me wire and finish it. I've since been told how simple the wiring is and I'm confident that with some help from you guys I can get this done on my own.

So here's what I've got:

1980 engine with Pete's Pamco (newest model) and a PMA Banshee swap (not from HHB, I put my own together). Kick only, no battery (sparx capac.), headlight, tail light, brake light, THAT's IT!

My uncle sent me a bunch of this cloth wiring pictured below:
e4a5463c5e0a11e38c92125e9fe3ffd9_8.jpg

I don't know the gauge of the wire, but do I HAVE to have a specific size for my setup?

I need to know EXACTLY what I need from the store (connectors, switches, etc...) for wiring the whole bike up. Again, I ONLY have the wire, no other electrical pieces.

I am completely unfamiliar with how wiring works, so if anyone knows of any good informative videos/pictures so I can actually see what I'm supposed to be doing, that would help.

I plan on using this diagram:
simplifiedwiring_zps899f2ca9.jpg

So from the diagram alone I know that I need my key and light switch(es). That's about all I can tell...

Also, I've come across a few times people talking about certain ways to NOT wire things to make sure you don't fry the ignition system. I need to know what NOT to do just as much as I need to know what TO do.

Wiring isn't as difficult as it sounds. The diagram you have there will serve you well. The main thing to remember with wiring is to make sure your joints are perfect and that you route it neatly, carefully and avoid it becoming damaged in its use.

Solder all of your joints and connection and use heat shrink tubing to insulate it. Dont really on crimping tools to do the job, always solder too. I have recently fixed an annoying problem on a friends bike where it had a mis-fire. It turned out to be a spade connector that just wasnt gripping the wire properly. Overall the wiring was good, neat and tidy, however he had skimped on this joint :(. You can buy all sorts of sheathing to protect it to suit your taste. Make sure you use rubbe grommets when passing through frame or metal work.

Buy a decent multimeter with a continuity function so you can test wiring before you hook it up to avoid accidental shorts etc.

Be methodical and think it through - dont rush it.

The wiring diagram is spot on, as a matter off act I have used the exact same one. it's super easy and once you learn it's easy to diagnose issues. I think everyone who owns these bikes should rewire them, so they understand.

The only issue may be depend on the brake light you have, some require power threw the brake switch and some are a second ground threw the switch, I have both on two different bikes, depends on the brake light.

The last hurtle is deciphering the switches and what all the wires mean, just get a multimeter and just start working on it, if your using the OEM there is a lot of information on what each color is, I would still put It on the multimeter to check and make sure everything is okay in the switch itself.

Good luck man, wiring is my favorite part of the build!

Back