Would an 81 special be a good Cafe candidate?

Saggs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is $400 a reasonable price for a good running 81? Would this also be a good pick to do a cafe build on?

I'd say that's a good price for a truly good-running XS of any year. Main slight PITA for a cafe build on a Special would be the wheels - 16" and 19" front aren't exactly cafe proportions. (well, maybe the 19")
You'll probably end up swapping out a lot of parts anyway.

I'd say that's a good price for a truly good-running XS of any year. Main slight PITA for a cafe build on a Special would be the wheels - 16" and 19" front aren't exactly cafe proportions. (well, maybe the 19")
You'll probably end up swapping out a lot of parts anyway.

I also have a beat up 72 I can use as a donor bike, would the 81 motor be easier to build up (or rebuild) than the 72?

Attachments

• $150 XS-1 Yamaha 003.jpg
    $150 XS-1 Yamaha 003.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 40
  • $150 XS-1 Yamaha 001.jpg
    $150 XS-1 Yamaha 001.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 60
Mixin' and matchin' can be a lot of fun, and two bikes are better than one. I'd build on the '81 but not tear anything up on the old bike.....mebbe swap some parts- but you may, in time, want to restore the old one.

Don't use the 70/71 as donour on the Special. Different frame completely and tins, about the only thing that will swap straight over is the engine and wheels. If the wiring was ok i would get the engine going and make an original rat has a lot of appeal that bike

Back