XS650 cafe style build

Just got an email from Rick at oldskoolcarbs
My carbs are done after about a month
They sure look pretty in the pics he sent
Can't wait to get them next week!

SANY0236_1024x768.jpg

Long overdue update
I took the bike all apart because it was in my basement, and brought it into the garage and reassembled again. It's amazing how this whole process took only an hour.

Anyways, got my seat from house on fire customs. I welded on a new rear loop and mounting brackets for seat. Upholstery will be done in black leather by ginger from new church Moto. Got rid of the frame brackets for the center stand and most other unneeded frame tabs. Still left the passenger peg brackets until I finalize which rearsets and exhaust I will use.

image_zpsae91396f.jpg

image_zps043595eb.jpg

The taillight is a half moon billet led unit from radiantz that will tuck underneath the seat cowl in rear. There is a mount welded up underneath back of seat for this.

image_zpsf9a4e29a.jpg

Placed an order with Gordon Scott for a custom fork brace to fit the huge 400-19 Avon MKII from tire. Also ordered some pipes from him too. He was nice enough to photoshop the pipes onto my bike to help me decide which ones to get. I think they look pretty bad ass.
Can't wait to get them.

image_zps34454363.jpg

Placed an order with Gordon Scott for a custom fork brace to fit the huge 400-19 Avon MKII from tire. Also ordered some pipes from him too. He was nice enough to photoshop the pipes onto my bike to help me decide which ones to get. I think they look pretty bad ass.
Can't wait to get them.

image_zps34454363.jpg

I love the way the pipes flow with the lines of the bike!

Looking good. Which seat is that from house on fire customs? I see they make aluminum seats.
jefft

Thanks.
Just sent upholstery pan to ginger at new church Moto. Going with black leather seat. Gordon Scott is working on exhaust. Can't wait to wrap this up.

Gordon Scott sent some pics of my exhaust today. Looking pretty awesome! He says they are almost done. Can't wait to get them, along with his fork brace which I have had made custom to fit the huge Avon front wheel

image_zpsfdc80b70.jpg

image_zps85ba9064.jpg

image_zpsfbc40b06.jpg

That exhaust is beautiful. How far did you drop the front forks through the triple trees? I was thinking of lowering the front end through the trees on mine, and putting the clipons above the top plate to give it a more standard riding position.

That exhaust is beautiful. How far did you drop the front forks through the triple trees? I was thinking of lowering the front end through the trees on mine, and putting the clipons above the top plate to give it a more standard riding position.

I slid the forks about 1.5" up above the triples. Probably can't go much more than that in my opinion or you'll risk bottoming out on lower triple.

If I were you, I'm not sure I would mount clip ons above triple. Not sure how safe that would be. I have heard others say the same. Go to dime city cycles website and check out the tarozzi clip ons. They make some with a 40 mm and 70 mm rise to them which will accomplish the same thing. There are other ways of obtaining a standard riding position such as using a drag bar or clubmans with your risers.

Did a little more work today.
Got my license bracket mounted up

image_zps85dfebb3.jpg

Also cut out and welded some brackets for the rear turn signals. I slid them right over the shock mount bolt and welded to frame. These monza shocks are narrower at the mounting points than the stock anyways, so it worked out perfect. Otherwise, I would have had to put a shim there anyways.

image_zps44f474cb.jpg

image_zps80766e4a.jpg

Got the rear hoop and seat mounts welded on too. My welding ain't pretty but it will be covered and powder coated anyways.

image_zps6777396a.jpg

Gordon Scott welded me up a custom fork brace. The Avon tire I am using is pretty big up front so he added another inch or so to brace.

image_zps412be0f9.jpg

I don't need the rear passenger peg or rear muffler mounts so everything in this next picture is getting cut off frame. Any advice on how to best do this?
image_zpsd904d106.jpg

Back