XS650 Dragbike lives again...

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
I finally got the old XS back to the track. This past sunday I put together an all motorcycle drag day at our local 1/8 mile track. I used gorilla marketing to spread the word. It worked. seems like everyone was very thirsty for a bike only event. Over 50 paid racers. We had 5 divisions, Pro, Sport, Vintage, Crusier, Scooter/Mini-Bike. Rules were almost none. A few took advantage like racers will so we are already making plans for the next one that will settle the score with those who did not play nice. $10 general admission, $25 to race and that got you into the 1, 2, 3 payouts of $100, $50 and $25 cash. I guess there were somewhere between 800 and 1000+ who came to watch. It overwhelmed the track operators that did not expect it. Ran out of food, lost control of the parking situation and more...

My XS that I date as a 1979 because of the current motor in it, ran well. In fact I took 2nd in the vintage division only to lose it myself by running under my dial in during the final elimination. I am trying to find a fair balance of going fast, consistent and do minimal tuning and repairs between rounds. Seems when I launch hard I need to adjust the clutch every 2 passes. Must be heating up and expanding somewhere because it starts to slip at high rpms. So now I launch easy and it is good to run all day. My best time was 8.5 seconds at 79.8 mph and that was with and easy launch, short shifting. If I want to do more work between rounds I can run it harder and probably get it to an 8.0 at 84 mph. This is a stock motor with a fresh set of first over psitons. Thats it. BS 38 carbs, stock cam and K&N air filters. 17T and 42T sprockets giving me 4 gears to use in the 1/8th. It does have a nice set of MSD coils that are triggered by stock points. I have the original 14:1 alcohol motor in the garage that I will go through when I have time and put it in for more fun. But for now this thing is fun (at 53 years old), gets lots of lookers and can run 10 passes a day without much tinkering then put it away until I get the chance to bring it out again. I suprised myself with my racing skills as I put a H2 750 and a Harley laydown Shovel on the trailer during competition. It was dial in bracket racing so more then speed comes to the game. For more info on the race go to my facebook page at facebook.com/motocasa and check out all the photos and vids starting to post. The track owner already asked me to do another, so did 100+ people at the track that day.

XS650launch.jpg

Sounds great! A quick 1/8 to 1/4 conversion chart puts your potential time in the low 13's. Not bad for a vintage 650. Dave

I spoke with someone at the track that runs mostly 1/4 races and our times were about the same on the 1/8. He goes high 12s in the 1/4. Considering the stock XSs were doing mid 13s give or take depending on year, model and report you read, I feel that this one stripped down, less wieght, air shifter, jetted with Shell pipes, slick, hot coils, Sunoco 110 fuel, shift light and wheelie bars, should have me in the 12s already. Ran hard probably closer to mid 12s. Those conversion charts are usually based on cars and bikes get a bigger gain in the 1/8 mile runs so they are not very accurate.

Does that sound like I want a better score?

Does that sound like I want a better score?

All that matters is that you got out and did it. Drag racing is the most accessible motor sport. You can show up with anything and have a great time.

Around here they have 1/8 mile brackets every Wednesday night, and 1/4 mile grudge matches most Friday and Saturday nights. It doesn't cost much more than going to see a movie and is a hell of a lot more fun.

Looks like there will be more events like this locally. I have been busy answering questions about info on the next one. 2 more tracks within 1-2 hour drive from me so I smell a series in the works...

Yes. this is cheap entertainment and fun. I was impressed with how many watchers that showed up. Families with kids, seniors with smiles, all colors, languages and income brackets. I encourage anyone who has access to a track in your area to try to do something like this. People blame the times on poor participation nowdays. I blame lack of effort. It is harder to round up people to spend even $10 to get out but once they see a show like this they tell lots and will be sure to be at the next one. Kids were free. There was a stunt rider who put on a show between competition. A live band. A dealer brought out a static ride traier so anyone can try driving a bike while staying still being coached.

I am planning a saturday night mix with the cars in the near future. I see a real need to explain how drag racing works to those who showed and had no idea on track rules, bracket dial ins, staging, burn outs, bye runs, reaction times, class selection. There was a huge interest though. Most were intimidated to ask questions so went at it a bit handicapped. Then we had the pros who took advantage of them. I just hope they got enough of a good taste to try this again and return for revenge.

My buddy is a pro photgrapher and covered the event. He has a page where he posts and sell Hi Rez pics to those who ran. Not all are up yet but take a look. This is a great way to promote too. Everyone wants of photo of them launching.

http://dozerlyp.zenfolio.com/p372499813

:thumbsup:

GREAT story, man! I'm looking forward to checking out more of your buddy's pics, too! Fun thread! :) And it's heartening to know what a basically stock motor is capable of in the right hand(s)... and left foot... :p

Cheers!

TC

Good picture of the racing, just been looking through the site trying to find the picture of when you first got it, did you find out what was in the original engine?

Attachments

• robalo2420tank0010c.jpg
    robalo2420tank0010c.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 529
I took out the original race motor that was in it and put in a motor I had in my street bike. It has 1000 miles on it so I knew it would do it's basic duites without too many details needed. I plan on getting into the race motor when I have time and dropping into the bike looking for more speed. I have a pretty healthy motor in my street bike now that has much more punch then this current motor but I am not in the mood to do motor swaps for a little gain. I will hold out until the race motor is ready and step it up then.

No Shell decals found yet? I do go through boxes once in a while and find cool stuff. I have some Shell rods, pistons, cams and other items. At first I was going to sell all that stuff off but now I am keeping it and playing race boy again.

Back