XS750 or XS850 Speedometer?

SEd27

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My speedo packed it in on the last ride of season this past fall.

I am looking at options to replace (ie. aftermarket, OEM, or NOS) and was wondering if a XS750 or XS850 unit would work.

I am a bit limited on choice, as being in Canada my Speedo in KPH and the majority available are in MPH.

My speedo packed it in on the last ride of season this past fall.

I am looking at options to replace (ie. aftermarket, OEM, or NOS) and was wondering if a XS750 or XS850 unit would work.

I am a bit limited on choice, as being in Canada my Speedo in KPH and the majority available are in MPH.
1978 and later XS650, 750, 850, and 79-81 XS11 Special all speedometers interchangeable.

I’m not terribly enthusiastic about the OE clocks. At 40+ years they tend to fail with regularity. If your bike isn’t a pristine stocker, a nice aftermarket unit could prove better (or not, depending upon what you buy.)

1978 and later XS650, 750, 850, and 79-81 XS11 Special all speedometers interchangeable.

I’m not terribly enthusiastic about the OE clocks. At 40+ years they tend to fail with regularity. If your bike isn’t a pristine stocker, a nice aftermarket unit could prove better (or not, depending upon what you buy.)

That is great info. Thank you.

I was debating going with an electric aftermarket unit. Looks almost stock and would probably be more accurate than a 40+ year old NOS unit.

I'll counter Marti by saying it's amazing how many stock 40 year old speedos and tachs are doing just fine.
On the other hand I'm replacing a cable drive aftermarket speedo that stripped the odometer drive gear.
And yes, the XS750-850 ( and most other road yammies of that period) have the same gearing. Some show higher max M(K)PH which is fun ;^)

I'll counter Marti by saying it's amazing how many stock 40 year old speedos and tachs are doing just fine.
On the other hand I'm replacing a cable drive aftermarket speedo that stripped the odometer drive gear.
And yes, the XS750-850 ( and most other road yammies of that period) have the same gearing. Some show higher max M(K)PH which is fun ;^)

Good to know Gary.

US 78/79 special Speedos and 79 Standard Speedos are mph with kph on the inside. Should b adequate in kph countries like Canada and Aus.

78/79 Specials
5_78SE_-79SF_Special.JPG

79 Standard
6_79F.jpg

Back