Yamaha XS650 sump filter plate

I made my own. The first photo is the drawing I used as a guide, the next three are of one another guy made ( I think he's in Australia), and the last one is on my bike. It works great, I've never had it bottom out and is a much better filter. There are two minor drawbacks to this system.
1. The filter sits a little lower than the unit you showed and,
2. This type of filter is really intended to have oil pushed through under pressure as opposed to being sucked through it by the pump.
That being said, the system works very well, does a much better job of filtering the oil before the pump, and is much more convenient.

DLD1

Attachments

• OilFilterDiagram.jpg
    OilFilterDiagram.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 370
  • oilfilterdiagram2.jpg
    oilfilterdiagram2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 391
  • oilfilterdiagram3.jpg
    oilfilterdiagram3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 630
  • oilfilterdiagram4.jpg
    oilfilterdiagram4.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 347
  • XS2-11d.jpg
    XS2-11d.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 411
I made my own. The first photo is the drawing I used as a guide, the next three are of one another guy made ( I think he's in Australia), and the last one is on my bike. It works great, I've never had it bottom out and is a much better filter. There are two minor drawbacks to this system.
1. The filter sits a little lower than the unit you showed and,
2. This type of filter is really intended to have oil pushed through under pressure as opposed to being sucked through it by the pump.
That being said, the system works very well, does a much better job of filtering the oil before the pump, and is much more convenient.

DLD1

WOW, that really hangs out there! I've taken out an oil filter, and the attach housing before, so now I gotta sweat that bottom setup. :banghead:

I know it looks like it's hanging way out, but umless you like to ride over speed bumps way faster than I do, or you're doing off road, it's not a problem. I ride a twisty, 1 1/2 lane road over a mountain pass to work, not the greatest road, but fun. Never had a problem. Like I said before, the type Peanut shows on the original thread tucks it up a little over an inch higher than mine, so it should never be a problem.

DLD1

why on earth would you want to spend days at the lathe /cnc milling machine /whatever to produce your own when you can buy one ready made for just £65 ???

I enjoy diy myself but there is a limit :doh:

This guy also produces Halco clutches and Rephased Cranks too. Very reasonable prices
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/howardsmed/m.html?item=130835645600&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e766984a0&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

A chunk of 1" thick aluminum and a couple of hours on the mill and 10 minutes on the lathe is all it took. This is actually a very simple part, either way you do it. To each his own. Personally, I like making anything myself rather than pay someone else to do it. I get more satisfaction knowing that I did it all myself.

DLD1

A chunk of 1" thick aluminum and a couple of hours on the mill and 10 minutes on the lathe is all it took. This is actually a very simple part, either way you do it. To each his own. Personally, I like making anything myself rather than pay someone else to do it. I get more satisfaction knowing that I did it all myself.

DLD1
yes I can see the appeal of saving a few dollars if you have access to a milling machine and lathe but most of us have only got an electric drill lol:D

DLD1

I like that you make your own parts. You did a fine job of machineing. I usually make my own parts as well, if I can. I consider it an enjoyable part of this hobby. Its also less expensive.

Looks nice, but I'd be terrified of hitting it, in spite of what's been said. For just a few euros more, you can get the side cover kit that MikesXS sells directly from the people who make it:
http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/2170/mo74-cg|22=3/#15-6504-oil-filter-cooler-kit-heiden-tuning-design
I have never paid extra for shipping from Heiden. Just fill the basket and pay for the part, no extra charges.
And you've got a filter that is a whole lot easier to change.

I've seen that fitted to a few bikes but never found out about them. The Heiden filter mod is a cooler as well which is useful. How exactly do they fit ?

why on earth would you want to spend days at the lathe /cnc milling machine /whatever to produce your own when you can buy one ready made for just £65 ???

I enjoy diy myself but there is a limit :doh:

Well, there's the fact that the auction doesn't offer shipping to the US...

Well, there's the fact that the auction doesn't offer shipping to the US...

I'll ship you one if you want one :thumbsup:

It was a tounge-in-cheek remark really . If I had been into bikes for 20+ years I'm sure that I would have some better tools and equipment. Not sure if I could justify a milling machine though.

Yes, we need a guy like that on this side of the pond, lol.

I've seen that fitted to a few bikes but never found out about them. The Heiden filter mod is a cooler as well which is useful. How exactly do they fit ?
Sorry for the thread jack, I'll be brief. They advertise the Heiden filter as a cooler, but the cooling effect is pretty minimal. You have to buy JB Weld and do some pretty easy mods to your side cover. When done, the outer cover mounts with 2 screws, remove cover and you can change the filter. It looks good, and the money you spent on it shows, rather than being hidden.
EDIT: I think I just described installation of the 650central.com spin-on filter kit which also goes in the side cover where the stock screen filter was. It's pretty cool. I think the Heiden kit is really simple, just takes 5 minutes. Then, you change the filter like I said above.

Last edited:
Back