your wealth of knowledge needed

baldyforks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, as said before I've got the 77 engine out and am starting to clean it up. Was just hoping to basicly give it a good service and paint it and see how it ran from there. But when I removed the oil filters the bottom was shagged as I expected but the side filter was in good nick but had metal shavings on the outer and when I broke it open it was clean. How worried should I be?

- alu ?
- no black plasticy bits ?
- how does it sound running once youve adjusted your camchain ?
- could be worth checking your oil pump too at some stage

all engines produce a little metal shavings and if the oil was not changed on regular basis then there could be more then expected.
I wouldn't worry

lol part numbers on the shavings?
if there big enough to have part numbers then you can be worried

It's all about quantity. a small amount less than a dime volume especially if the filter has never been off before. no big deal. more? that might be trouble but unless there is a lot and the engine makes bad noises I'd run it and see what happens. There are metal shavings left from original manufacture that Yamaha didn't get out, they end up in the oil filter. It's nice to put a magnet on them to find out if they are steel. A magnifying glass might help ID them as shavings from machining.

Back