1978 Xs650SE Barn Find

[QUOTE="Did you get those brushes from MikesXS? [/QUOTE]

I got the brushes from Niche Cycle - they maybe the same quality - I am not sure - i was going to buy some OEM ones, but it was not in the budget and I had a deadline to try and get bike ready for the ride this past weekend.

Now I'm on a new deadline to hopefully be able to ride again before the end of the summer, haha

Tim

Getting a little dishearted, but with help of the forum, I am sure I can get the bike reliable again.
Don't loose hope. You have to keep in mind it's a 40+ year old bike. Most of those years it was just sitting. When it was run it was probably not well maintained.
Once you right the wrongs of it's past you will have a reliable bike. A buddy and myself just made a 6 day trip on 650s. Between the bikes 100 years of age. Also between them we went almost 4000 smiles. No show stoppers from either bike. Between the 2 of them I think we used a little over of a qt of oil.
You do have to keep in mind also these old girls take more maintenance than a modern bike. But like a hot chick they are a lot of fun to ride.:rolleyes:
Also when out and about on it they attract a lot of attention. I don't know how many people have come up to me in parking lots and gas stations just to admire and talk about my XS2.
I got the brushes from Niche Cycle
I'm using the same brushes. Not been a problem.

After you install the rewound rotor and new rectifier, it's best you revisit the regulator. You might find it overcharging.

I would regard it as a big mistake using the same regulator ..That has a bad reputation ---> Risking to fry the 3 rotor.
An electronic regulator are costing $10 -- $20 You in the US i assume have a plug in solution.

If I get this right Jim has one rotor and one is on the Bike .
Are we sure that the one on the bike is shorted
If the brush was substandard quality --- the fault can be there

Jan- I totally agree it is a lot of fun to ride - it not a sport bike, but its not a slow bike either - it has a lot of pep. At the charity ride, everyone either had Harleys, or newer Vulcans, but everyone was eyeing my XS. Even when I pulled into the last spot with my head hung low and the bike was on the trailer, people came up to ask what happened and wanted to talk about how I obtained the bike.

I really appreciate everyone's help thus far and look forward to getting it back to riding status.

Good morning everyone,

I ohm tested the rectifier as posted on last page and it is not reading anything. Pretty sure it is dead. Any one have a suggestion on a re rectifier?

Tim

A rectifier is a rectifier so many of us use low cost ones from the electronics world. Many of us choose this one from Windy Nation .....

https://www.windynation.com/Rectifier/35-Amp-3-Phase-Bridge-Rectifier/-/218?p=YzE9MjA=

This component gets hot during operation so you need to mount it on some sort of heat sink. A 2" or 3" square of aluminum plate will work fine. I may have gone a bit overboard but I used a section of heat sink from an old computer .....

WFxgZEt.jpg

You'll also need to add wires and make up a little harness so it will plug into the bike's wiring harness .....

BzgZA37.png

d0RyEPl.jpg

Good afternoon Everyone,

Quick question that I forgot to ask. What rpms are you guys running at 55-60mph. at 55-60mph in 5th gear I was seeing 4k to 4200rpms. Is this the normal RPM range?

Thanks for any input!

Tim

That's probably about right if you still have the stock gearing. Many of us gear these bikes up slightly. By slightly, that means a one or two tooth smaller rear sprocket. Stock size is 34T. The 16" wheel you have works well with a 32T. A 33T is better on an 18" rear wheel. Doing that will drop your cruising RPMs several hundred. You'll see below 4K, probably something like 3600 to 3800, at 55.

Good afternoon everyone,

Got my rewind from Jim and I have to say his rewinds are top notch. I couldn't believe it was same rotor I sent him. (Before and after pictures below). It ohm tested at 5.6 and looks brand new!

I got bike all back together and it fired right up. And is charging. I still have to mount the new rectifier, but it seems to be working correctly!

I also put some bar end mirrors on it. It is starting to take shape as a factory-ish cafe/street track look. I still want to make a seat for it, but that will most likely wait til winter.

Hope to go on a little cruise Sunday before church.

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• 20210517_112958.jpg
    20210517_112958.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210517_112954.jpg
    20210517_112954.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210517_112946.jpg
    20210517_112946.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210607_142946.jpg
    20210607_142946.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210607_142951.jpg
    20210607_142951.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 20210607_142957.jpg
    20210607_142957.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210605_101555.jpg
    20210605_101555.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 74
Good afternoon everyone,

Got my rewind from Jim and I have to say his rewinds are top notch. I couldn't believe it was same rotor I sent him. (Before and after pictures below). It ohm tested at 5.6 and looks brand new!

I got bike all back together and it fired right up. And is charging. I still have to mount the new rectifier, but it seems to be working correctly!

I also put some bar end mirrors on it. It is starting to take shape as a factory-ish cafe/street track look. I still want to make a seat for it, but that will most likely wait til winter.

Hope to go on a little cruise Sunday before church.

Thanks again everyone!
Jim does awesome work, now you've got a rotor that'll last another 45+ years!

Back