1979 Special 650 restoration

Doug79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
And so it begins, Kinda. Im really not suppose to be working on this project yet, but sometimes you just can't help it. Since this an 11000 original mile bike that has been sitting for 30 years I am thinking I will see if it will run. So I started to check the filter screens and then went to drain the oil. I don't have a 27mm socket so rather than round something off with a crescent wrench, I fire up the old Road King and tear off to Swear and Sendback to get one only to find out that they feel that going all the way up to 19mm is more than big enough. Stopped at the local farm supply store and they had metric sockets up to I don't know how big. Bought a 27mm pretty good looking socket for $3.75. [not a typo]. finally got the drain plugs out and the oil drained. By the way who the hell puts plugs in that tight? found a tear in the sump screen so ordered every filter, gasket and washer from Mikes. So my big start came to a screeching stop. I do have rebuilt carbs to mount and some kind of a temporary fuel tank to make but will be on hold until the new parts get here. Not much of a start, but it still counts.

Don't throw the old screen away.

There's a number of threads on repairing them and chances are the new one will get torn eventually.

ttwp.gif

Not a big fan of Yamahas filtering system myself but since a sump filter is on its way from Mikes I am going to go ahead and use it. I was pleased to see that the old oil I drained out looked good, with no apparent contamination and the magnets were surprisingly clean. I am only trying to find out if the engine will run, for now. If it does ,and I expect it will, I will just set it aside while I build the chassis. The engine will get it's turn later with any electrical updates available as well as an hydraulic clutch system, and I suspect after sitting around for 30 years, a new clutch.

Your new sump filter will most likely tear as well unless you remember to follow this one simple rule - don't run the bike hard (high RPMs) when first started while the oil is still cold and thick. Most of us run 20W-50 and it's just too thick when cold for the filter to handle.

Your new sump filter will most likely tear as well unless you remember to follow this one simple rule - don't run the bike hard (high RPMs) when first started while the oil is still cold and thick. Most of us run 20W-50 and it's just too thick when cold for the filter to handle.

Your new sump filter will tear they are absolutely useless no matter what oil you use.

I haven't torn one since I learned to take it easy with a cold motor. It's probably been 6 or 8 years now. Amazingly, when I got the bike, the original was intact. That didn't last long, lol. I replaced it with the "improved" MikesXS filter. That didn't last long either, lol. In fact, it was worse. Besides tearing, one of the magnets fell out. I don't care for the replacements and don't think they're improved. I don't think they're even as good as originals. I prefer to use patched originals. I'll probably never buy another new "improved" one again.

I got the new filters and oil in today. I pulled the plugs and turned it over a bunch, in hopes of getting oil to everything.Checked the plugs and I'm getting a good strong spark. Tried to install the carbs but the old boots are so hard I never did get them on. I just wanted to see if maybe the log girl would fire. I started browsing the web site and found s bunch of threads on re-phasing. sounds interesting and may be something I will look into while the engine is out as well as modifying the frame to accept a single carb set up. I have a state inspection on the 29th to get the title process started so I can't disassemble anything until that is done.

Well today is the day, I take the bike to the State Inspection station. I don't know about your state,but Washington State can be a real bitch. I have had to make 5 trips to the state licensing agent trying to make sure I have all the necessary paperwork in order. I got different variations of the requirements on three of those trips. I now have what they all seem to feel are the correct documents to get an Ownership in doubt inspection. This state purges any title that has had no activity for 10 years so even tho I know and have a release of interest from the original owner, I have to go thru the 3 year title search. They issue a clear registration that allows me to rebuild, license or sell the bike but won't have a clear title for three years. wish me luck! They screw around we me too much more and I am going to roll the damn thing into the river!

Sometimes, you just can't catch a break! Friday I got a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul, went to my appointment with all the proper paperwork, went thru the whole process, was told by the state inspector that everything was in order and I was good to go to the licensing agent to get my registration. Took the motorcycle home, returned the trailer and went to get my registration only to be told that the engine number didn't jive with the frame. His form had the frame number as 2F0- and the engine 2L0. Clearly a typo. so I tear back up to the insp. station and he tells me that the engine number started 2L0 and there is nothing he will do to change it without seeing the bike again. I went home and looked at the engine number and it is obviously stamped with an F. I didn't know the two numbers had to match and apparently he didn't either, and he does this for a freekin living. So I have to rent the trailer again and haul the thing back up there at 7;30am on next Friday and explain to the bone head the difference between an F and an L. Jeeze!

That sucks..........If they were made to reimburse you for their mistakes they would be more diligent

Weight is another issue with the licensing folks. I have a printed Yamaha data sheet that coveres all model of the xs with a single weight. I have showed it to them each time i've been in and have had it kind of accepted. even still when I showed it to the woman on Friday, she was very concerned because it covered more than one year and had to check with a supervisor. I came away a little nervous so I went on line and found a sheet that covers a 1979 special only.
I did let my frustration get the best of me, a bit, and said to her, "You know, all you have to do is license and tabs, You don't have to also know how to sell insurance or perform surgery or anything else so why aren't you better at it? You should never have to check with anyone and should know everything there is to know about your one and only job. Bet I will pay for that before its over but it did make me feel a little better. definitely will talk to a different person or better yet go to a different office next Friday.
I left out the part about my belief that most of those people wouldn't make it a week in the private sector.
My wife was county employee for 25 years and I will guarantee you that the state called her way more times than she ever called them so I know these public jobs can be learned.

By god we got it done today. Seven trips to the county licensing agent and two to the State Patrol inspection station. you would have thought I was trying to pull some shady deal on a million dollar Ferrari. I'll start getting the frame stripped so I can get it blasted and powder coated and start connecting parts so I can reassemble this winter. Still want to take a shot at getting the engine running before I take it out.

Had to order new carb mounts as the old ones were too brittle and I couldn't get the carbs back in them. received them on Saturday and installed today. What a major PITA!! man just another 3/8"to the down tube would have getting them back in there way easier. I am pretty sure this is the only time this bike will ever see two carbs. I only put them on to see if I can get the motor running. glued up a little fuel tank of ABS so I am going to let the glue sit till tomorrow then hook it up and give it a try. i'm not terribly concerned with it starting I just don't want to go into a low mileage engine unless there is a reason. We'll see tomorrow.

Back