1979 XS650SF v. 1979 XS650 Special II Value Difference?

tnbert

Banned
Reaction score
Tried to start thread in members section but too stupid to figure out how. Anyway, looked at NADA and Kelly BB. NADA doesn't list a '79 XS650SF. Kelly does, but values are much different between NADA and Kelly for the '79 XS650 Special II. I pretty much know the difference between the two bikes, but does anyone know which one is worth more today if both were in same condition and mileage. Example: '79 Special Excellent v. '79 Special II Excellent both with 10k. Thanks.

'79 Special has rear disc brake with mag rims while the Special II has drum and spoke rims. You can find rear drum brake mags for the II model but finding spoke disc for the regular Special is a challenge.....
Is this glass half empty or half full? I'd go for the II.

For the 1979 model year, I think my "nod" would go to the Special II as well, but for a different reason. It's rather rare in that it was the only Special that ever came with spoked alloy wheels. All the other spoked wheel Specials got chrome steel rims.

That's odd. I have a '79 XS650SF and it does not have rear disc as nj1639 stated. I thought that rear disc were rare on those bikes. And yes, I do like the Special II spoked alloys much better than the cast.

IT's what YOU like that counts, No XS650 is much of a pure investment play. Buy what you want to ride and be seen on and you have value beyond $$$$.
And it really only matters to the restoration and survivor crowd Once it's not stock there are "improved" aftermarket parts available.

I think it is going to be a while yet before most of these bikes have any intrinsic value other than what someone will pay for them. I have visited both the AMA museum and Barbour, neither had an XS 650 on display.
I often feel like my favorite vintage motorcycle is a neglected poor cousin to the favored Brit twins. No respect, I tell ya, no respect.

78SE, 79SF and 80SH had Factory Mag wheels with a Disk brake rear wheel
79 Special II and 80G Special II Had Factory Spoke Wheels, drum brake rear.
79 Special II had Alloy 19" Front/16" Rear rims.
80G Had 19" Front/16" Rear Chrome on steel rims
81SH is the only US bike to have factory Mag Wheels with the Drum brake rear mag wheel.
Canada had Mag wheels with drum brake rear mag on all Specials and heritage specials from 81-84

Skull.....man, how do you know all this stuff?

IT's what YOU like that counts, No XS650 is much of a pure investment play. Buy what you want to ride and be seen on and you have value beyond $$$$.
And it really only matters to the restoration and survivor crowd Once it's not stock there are "improved" aftermarket parts available.

I agree gggGary...check out the 'entries' for the free charging system from Mike's XS...I bet non of those owners/builders would sell for the 'blue book' value

Yea I agree with all. Just looked at values to see if I got a good deal on the '79 special and '83 Heritage I bought. Was shocked at the difference between NADA and Kelly for the same bike. My '79SF is very nice, but has cast wheels with rear drum brake. I'll check VIN tomorrow. I know it's a '79, but can't understand why I have cast wheels with rear drum brake unless wheel was changed in the past. It looks factory, but I'll look closer tomorrow. Bike has all of the emblems too rather than the decals. Thanks for the info Skull.

Am I missing something here? Mike's is offering something free????? Chances are it won't fit my bike anyway, lol.

Skull.....man, how do you know all this stuff?

When i got back into these bikes i had trouble finding any collection of the info for different models..............Decided to dedicate the rest of my life learning useless information about XS650's..............Go to the ID/Manual Sticky in the Garage. Can see the differences.

Ok thanks Skull. Will try to roll her out of the garage and take photos tomorrow if I can get all of my useless junk out of the way!.

Skull, I think you're confusing the issue here more than need be. Just tell the guy yes or no, that's all I did, and right at the beginning ....

Oh my God, now it's worse than I thought, you're talking serial numbers, lol.

Skull, I just looked at title which matches engine and frame and the VIN is 2F0254... which if I understand correctly, tells me it's a Special II with Special wheels and side covers/emblems. Hell, I just noticed the title says S2. Does that sound correct? Do you think these cast/mag wheels with drum rear brake came from an '81SH as per your chart? Looks like someone robbed the spoked alloy wheels prior to my purchase! Dirty dogs! I'll still post some photos. Thanks.

When i got back into these bikes i had trouble finding any collection of the info for different models..............Decided to dedicate the rest of my life learning useless information about XS650's..............Go to the ID/Manual Sticky in the Garage. Can see the differences.

Man, you've got a good eye. You're attention to detail and ability to pick up on the nuances is amazing. Thank you for all your contributions to the site. I have enjoyed many visits to your ID/Manual sticky. What an amazing resource. Thank you for all the work that would have taken.

Dirty Dogs indeed. You also have to realize that Skull is "Down Under". They don't always get the same models we do, often they're different. I told you what you need to know about an American '79 Special II. Maybe your wheels have been changed. It's easy, I hate to say this because the last time I did I was pretty much ostracized from another long time 650 list, but even 12 year old Catholic school girls could do it. Not that they're looking for the opportunity to change motorcycle tires, I'm sure they have better things they think they need to do. But I think you get my point. Those "650 enthusiasts" on that other site didn't. So they lost me. Not that they needed me in the first place but ..... I kinda think that lots of the 650 info and pics I've shared will be around for a long time, even after I'm dead and gone. I don't think that dirt-bag list will be. But even if someone saves their archives, there's no way to find anything. Sure, there may be tips in there, so go ahead and weed through thousands of posts, lol.

Back