1980 Special II rebuild/custom

Garlic_Sauce

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's up guys? Names Ryan, I'm from CT and I just picked up an '80 Special II that I'm starting to rebuild, I just finished an xs400 cafe tracker but while I was doing that bike I fell in love with the xs650. I searched a while and found this bike. 11,xxx miles, motors free, carbs are dirty and overall needs some love. I picked her up for $200, I'm very excited to bring this bike back to life. From what I've seen this seems like a great forum.

Heres the bike the day I picked it up:
8e2a5870.jpg

da03b525.jpg

Heres the xs400 I built:
534800e2.jpg

Here's how the bike currently sits:
c075104d.jpg

My plans for the bike is as follows:
SS spokes, brake lines and fasteners
dual front disc set-up
charging system upgrade
polished motor and new gaskets
flatslides with pods
2-1 exhaust
dirt bars/new controls
new ignition
new clocks
PAINT
Most of that stuff is after I get it running of course.

One more thing what do you think about this altenator? Can the rotor be saved?
a8c7c1a0.jpg

7061343d.jpg

e609f34d.jpg

Looks pretty bad to me but then again my xs400's runs in an oil bath so dry is new to me.

Welcome nice 400. I would test it if it checks out ok it could be cleaned up. Does the motor turn over. It will be really nice when you get it done. Keep us informed of your build.

Nice find. Looks like you have a little work but that's the fun of it. Good luck and post picture's of you progress

Since you're re-spoking anyway, I would change the rims out for the 18" rear/ 19" front flanged alloy ones. Proper look for a cafe.

Since you're re-spoking anyway, I would change the rims out for the 18" rear/ 19" front flanged alloy ones. Proper look for a cafe.

I'll check those out although I'm not building a cafe racer. I'm just doing a stripped down rider. Will a first or secind gen seat fit the '80 frame? I'm looking for a low flat leather seat to replace the puffy thing that came on the bike. Not much pics to post since I haven't got anything but cleaning and tearing down done so far. I'm hoping to pull the motor tonight if my friend stops by to help me lift it, I can't wait to get it on my bench and crack it open :D. I'm going to soda blast the head/block and polish the covers, just hope I can get rid of the staining on the head.

Nice score!
Seats can be interesting.....that one appears a bit different from stock, looks too new for the condition of the rest of the bike,maybe a re-upholstered job. Does the seat hinge off the seat rails or does it hook into the frame just behind the tank mount having the release towards the rear?
The early and Standard seats run on a horizontal line front to rear and the Specials have that slight angle down and then back up. What I've found is that if you're going to use the stock airboxes then that lower line needs to be maintained for aesthetics (to my eye) whether it's a Standard or a Special. That being said, no airboxes with Unis'? then who cares.
Some will take the stock Special seat and trim the foam down to remove the hump and then re-upholster. That move will keep the lines but can make for a sore ass for any passengers. That seat looks too good to cut up (did I just say that?). I'd hang that seat up and find a junker for cheap to play with.
But dayum, nice score!

Thanks, I still can't believe I found one for that price. Yeah the seat is re-upholstered on a stock pan, I forget the name on the tag. It has hinges on the right side and a latch on the left, same as my xs400. I won't be chopping it up, it's going on EBAY. I think I'll do like you said and find an old seat and use the pan. Unless an old one in decent shape will work since re-upholstering usually isn't cheap.

Boy! and I thought my "vintage" JC Whitney king & queen seat was a bit unsightly! It is comfortable as a Mustang seat though!

Yeah the seat is heinous, someone will buy it though. I'm just going to do a bratstyle flat leather seat. The theme for this build will be a barebones highway rider. Can't wait to start getting things done, pulling the motor today and hopefully start sandblasting the frame.

Got the motor out! Pulled the valve cover off and everything looks nice and clean, still need to pull the head to check out the valves and pistons/cylinders. I'm thinking of still soda blasting the head and jugs but then painting it to look like new aluminum if there is still obvious staining. Anyone ever do that?
ae4909a0.jpg

e8c51a88.jpg

4b1a76e4.jpg

Not sure what I want to do for bars yet, dirt or higher. The second pic has the bars off a cm450e, I don't like how they bend back inwards but I do like the height. And the sissy bar is STAYING!
e2f5554f.jpg

7ce2a245.jpg

Back